Exemption from the French exam
In your application file, you must provide a copy of your diploma or proof that you have passed one of the applicable exams.
Exemptions only apply to the basic test. The supplementary writing test is mandatory for candidates applying to the Faculty of Arts (including the School of French Language and Civilization).
You are exempt from the French exam if you...
- are of Swiss or Liechtenstein nationality
- are required to sit for the Complementary Examination of Swiss Universities (ECUS)
- have a certificate proving that you have attained at least a B2 level of French under the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) (see diplomas listed below)
- are applying to a master's program or certificate if sitting for the French exam is not required (see the list of requirements)
- are applying to a Doctorate or Master of Advanced Studies (MAS)
- hold a foreign high school or university diploma (minimum three-year programme, equivalent to at least 180 ECTS credits). The diploma must be obtained from an institution that is recognized by our university, and French must be the official language of instruction.
- are applying to the Faculty of Translation and Interpretation (FTI) and have passed the FTI’s French (passive language) admission exam (for the Bachelor of Arts in Multilingual communication, the Master of Arts in Translation, or the Master of Arts in Conference Interpreting)
You are exempt from the French exam if you hold one of the following diplomas or certificates (obtained within four year of applying):
- DELF (Diplôme d'Études de Langue Française) niveau B2
- DALF (Diplôme Approfondi de Langue Française) niveau C1 ou C2
- TCF avec au minimum le niveau B2 aux épreuves obligatoires et aux épreuves facultatives (complémentaires)
- TCF DAP avec au minimum le niveau B2 aux épreuves obligatoires et à l'épreuve d'expression écrite (cette épreuve est obligatoire)
- TEF (Test d'Evaluation du Français) avec au minimum le niveau B2 aux épreuves obligatoires et aux épreuves facultatives (complémentaires) délivré par la CCIP/Alliance française
- Certificat des Cours d'été de l'Université de Genève