SEMP - Swiss European Mobility Programmes, ex-Erasmus, were put in place to ensure the continuation of exchanges with European universities since Switzerland's exclusion from the Erasmus+ programme in February 2014.
A SEMP agreement is required for:
- student exchanges (at Bachelor's, Master's and Doctorate level) for a period of 3 to 12 months
- short-term teaching staff exchanges (3-4 days, min. 8 hours of classes)
SEMP does not cover research-related activities or any activities in non-EU countries (with the exception of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Turkey and Macedonia).
SEMP agreement funding:
The signing of a SEMP agreement entitles students to mobility grants. In 2017, these amounted to between CHF 1500 and CHF 2100 for students per semester (depending on the host country) and CHF 170 per day plus travel expenses (max. CHF 600) for teaching staff.
Who signs SEMP agreements?
Appointed by the Rector, the International Relations Office is authorised to sign agreements. Agreements signed by other members of UNIGE cannot be taken into account and cannot be funded.
How to proceed?
Contact Olivier VINCENT. Have the following information ready:
- Name of the administrative coordinator abroad (generally corresponds to the ERASMUS coordinator at the International Affairs Office, or at central administration or faculty level for larger universities).
- Name of academic coordinator abroad (generally a teaching colleague)
- Subject area
- Number of student exchanges, intended total duration, in semesters (generally one or two students for one semester each)
- Teacher exchanges possible? (maximum one week)
- ERASMUS partner university code (such as CH GENEVE01 or XX YYYYYYZZ, X=country, Y=city, Z=institution number)
- Academic calendar of partner university
- List of courses available to exchange students at UNIGE and the partner institution
The signing of an agreement is subject to the approval of the host department or faculty.
The flow of students and teachers is managed by the mobility team of the International Affairs Office.