COLLABORATION WITH IOs & NGOs
For over 100 years, Switzerland has been home to many international organizations. With its 84 international organizations, programmes, institutes and funds; 250 NGOs; 171 countries represented; and 246 permanent missions and delegations, Geneva can be considered the capital of multilateral diplomacy. For the role it plays as host city for international organizations it has been dubbed «International Geneva», and indeed, together with New York, Geneva is the largest center of negotiation and international cooperation in the world.
The University of Geneva is steeped in this international environment; this is, moreover, the defining trait of the city. For many years the university has been a respected and indispensable partner to « International Geneva ». The many close ties, and instances of collaboration that exist between the university and governmental and non-governmental international organizations (IOs/NGOs) have proven to be both invaluable assets and a distinguishing feature of our university.
The University of Geneva would like to strengthen and intensify even further its partnerships and privileged bonds with IOs/NGOs. We wish to adopt an active policy that will provide encouragement to International Geneva and easier access to our scientific expertise. Towards this end, the Rectorate has set up a program via its international relations service to bolster collaboration with IOs/NGOs.
The objectives of the program are to:
- Develop on-going collaboration between UNIGE and IOs/NGOs and to promote synergies,
- Act as a permanent contact point amongst members of the academic community and «International Geneva»,
- Coordinate and follow-up on different existing partnerships and projects,
- Support and encourage members of the academic community who wish to develop new forms of collaboration or further develop existing ones,
- Propose new collaboration projects and negotiate partnership agreements,
- Oversee and increase the number of traineeships at the IOs/NGOs (see our page on internships) proposed to the top university students or priority partners,
- Maintain a regularly updated collaboration registry and disseminate information.