Post-doctoral Researcher, Philosophy of Emotions
Swiss Center for Affective Sciences, University of Geneva
Center of Cognitive Sciences, University of Neuchâtel
Member of the Research Groups Thumos (Emotions, values, and norms, University of Geneva), Exre (Experience and normativity, University of Fribourg), Phrontis (Attention, interest and epistemic emotions, University of Neuchâtel).
More information here.
Full CV here.
Philosophy of Mind (Philosophy of Emotions, Desire and Action), Ethics (Values, Death), Aesthetics (Music), Moral Psychology (Character), Cognitive Science.
Areas of Competence
Philosophy of Mind, Ethics, Aesthetics, History of Philosophy
Ph.D. dissertation under the direction of Julien Deonna (University of Geneva) and Gianfranco Soldati (University of Fribourg): “The Logic of the Liver. A Deontic View of the Intentionality of Desire”, submitted the 1st November 2013, defended the 14th February 2014. Members of the Jury: Julien Deonna (University of Geneva), Martine Nida-Rümelin (University of Fribourg), Graham Oddie (University of Colorado Boulder), Peter Railton (University of Michigan), Gianfranco Soldati (University of Fribourg). Mark: “très honorable, avec les félicitations du jury à l’unanimité” (translation: excellent, and with the unanimous congratulations of the jury).
PublicationsPeer-Reviewed Articles (in Volumes)
- Federico Lauria. (forthcoming) “The Guise of the Ought-to-Be. A Deontic View of the Intentionality of Desire”. In The Nature of Desire, Julien Deonna & Federico Lauria (eds.), New York: Oxford University Press.
- Julien Deonna & Federico Lauria. (forthcoming) “Introduction: The Nature of Desire and its Application to Philosophical Debates”. In The Nature of Desire, Julien Deonna & Federico Lauria (eds.), New York: Oxford University Press.
- Federico Lauria & Alain Pé-Curto. (2011) “Who Do You Think You Are? Character, Personality, and Self.”. In Self-Evaluation. Affective and Social Grounds of Intentionality. Anita Konzelmann Ziv, Keith Lehrer & Hans Bernard Schmidt (eds.). Berlin: Springer.
- Federico Lauria. (forthcoming) “Sur le luxe”. InDictionnaire Philosophique des Valeurs, edité par Julien Deonna & Emma Tieffenbach, Paris: Ithaque. English version, “On Luxury”. In Philosophical Dictionary of Values, editor to be determined.
- Federico Lauria. (forthcoming) “Anger”. In the book of the Swiss Centre of Affective Sciences, directed by David Sander, title and editors to be determined. French version to be determined.
- Julien Deonna & Federico Lauria. (forthcoming) The Nature of Desire. New York: Oxford University Press. Special volume with articles by Peter Railton, Graham Oddie, Timothy Schroeder, Fred Schueler, Maria Alvarez, David Wall, Sabine Döring and others.
- “Direction of Fit and Modes of Intentionality”
- “Hoping as Desiring the Probable. A Defence of the Classical View of Hope”
- “The Nature and Variety of Norms. Taking the Ought-to-Be Seriously.”
- “The Situationist Boomerang” (with Alain Pé-Curto, University of Geneva)
- “Self-Deception as Affective Coping” (with Fabrice Clément, University of Neuchâtel & Delphine Preissmann, University of Lausanne and University of Neuchâtel)”
- “Is Interest an Emotion? Defining Interest” (with Fabrice Clément, University of Neuchâtel & Danny Dukes, University of Neuchâtel)
- “The Death of Desire Principle”
- “On Caprice”
- “A Moore’s Paradox for Desire – A Reply to David Wall”
- “The Affective Challenge to the Value of Immortality”
- Introduction to Philosophy of Death
- Introduction to Self-Deception and Other Cognitive Dissonances
- Introduction to the Philosophy of the Self
- Introduction to Philosophy of Emotions
- Introduction to Aesthetics
- Introduction to History of Philosophy