I am an assistant professor in the numerical analysis group at the mathematics department of the university of Geneva. Prior to joining the university of Geneva, I was an instructor of mathematics at Princeton University from September 2012 to January 2015. Before that, I was a post doc at EPF Lausanne and ETH Zurich. I obtained my PhD at KU Leuven in December 2010.
In 2011, I was awarded the Alston S. Householder award for my PhD thesis. For my research on Riemannian optimization for low-rank matrix equations, I received a Leslie Fox Prize in 2011 and a SIAM Outstanding Paper prize in 2012.
My research is on large-scale and high-dimensional problems that are solved numerically using low-rank matrix and tensor techniques. Examples of such problems are the electronic Schrödinger equation, parametric partial differential equations, and low-rank matrix completion. I tend to focus on practical algorithms that can be formulated on Riemannian matrix manifolds and use techniques from numerical linear algebra. My other research interests include pseudospectra, matrix means, model-order reduction, and multilevel preconditioning.
If you are interested in doing a Master thesis or a PhD in numerical analysis or numerical linear algebra, please send me an email.
Together with Martin Gander and Gilles Vilmart, I organize the Numerical Analysis seminar. Contact me if you are interested
- 2 - 5 May 2017: Karl Meerbergen is visiting and speaking in our seminar
- 27 - 31 Mar 2017: Zhaojun Bais is visiting and speaking in our seminar
- 28 Feb - 2 Mar 2017: Wim Michiels is visiting and speaking in our seminar
- 12 - 14 Dec 2016: Anastasios Kyrillidis is visiting and speaking in our seminar.
- 1 Oct - 20 Dec 2016: Hanna Wallach is visiting for about 3 months.
- 3 - 7 Oct 2016: Bamdev Mishra is visiting and speaking in our seminar.
Conferences and workshops
- 11 - 15 Sep 2017: International Conference on Scientific Computation and Differential Equations in Bath.
- 13 - 15 Jul 2017: Workshop of Foundations of Computational Mathematics in Barcelona.
- 24 - 28 Jul 2017: Conference of the International Linear Algebra Society in Iowa.
- 18 - 23 Jun 2017: Householder Symposium XX on Numerical Linear Algebra in Virginia.