The SSCN is a non-profit group of scientists, which was designed to:
- Foster interactions among scientists and between scientists and society
- Advance the discovery of basic molecular, cellular and organismic mechanisms of embryonic and adult stem cell functions in human and all model systems
- Encourage and support young scientists, minorities and women in science
- Provide the public at large with an informed and first hand view of current stem cell research
- Discuss important scientific and ethical issues arising from stem cell research
The SSCN does not support reproductive cloning.