Professeur Ordinaire (1993-present)
Member of the Board and Faculty Member, World Trade Institute (2000-present)
Economist, Research Department, The World Bank (1980-91)
Division Chief, Trade Policy Division, Research Department, The World Bank (1991-93)
Professeur Invité, Université d'Auvergne (1987-present)
Research Fellow, CEPR (1989-present)
Lecturer, the Joint Vienna Institute (1998-present)
Editorial Board, European Economic Review (2000-3)
Assistant Professor, Georgetown University (1976-80)
Economist, USAID (1972-76)
Département d'Economie Politique
Université de Genève
Telephone: (direct) 41-22-379-82-57
Phd. Johns Hopkins University, 1975. Started working in the US bilateral Foreign Aid program, then taught at Georgetown University. Held various positions in the Research Department of the World Bank prior to joining the faculty at the University of Geneva. Among others, he has consulted for the Government of Saudia Arabia, the World Bank, the OECD, and the European Commission.
Economie Internationale A (Commerce International)
Economie du Développement
Economie Internationale B (Macroéconomie Ouverte et Système Monetaire International)
Economie Politique B
International trade (especially trade policy) and development. Current interests include the links between trade and migration policies, the relation between regionalism and the multilateral trading system, and trade and the environment.
Representative Publications (selected)
Curriculum Vitae (pdf file)
- Trade and Migration: The Controversies and the Evidence, (contributing editor with R. Faini and K. Zimmerman), Cambridge University Press, 1999.
- New Dimensions in Regional Integration, (Contributing editor with A. Panagariya), Cambridge University Press, 1993.
- "Adjustment Policies and Income Distribution: A Symposium", (Contributing editor with F. Bourguignon and C. Morrisson), World Development vol. 19, no. 11, November 1991, pp. 1483-1651.
- A General Equilibrium Analysis of US Trade Policy, (With D.Tarr), MIT Press, 1992
- "Liberalization with Stabilization in the Southern Cone of Latin America: A Symposium", (Contributing editor with V. Corbo), World Development, 1985, vol. 13, no. 8, August 1985, pp. 863-1015.
- General Equilibrium Models for Development Policy, (With K. Dervis and S. Robinson), Cambridge University Press, 1982
Publications list (pdf file)
RECENT RESEARCH (since 2005)
- "Product Specific Rules of Origin in the EU and U.S. Preferential Trading Arrangements; An Assessment", (with Olivier Cadot, Céline Carrère and Bolormaa Tumurchudur), World Trade Review, also as CEPR DP#4998.
- "Regionalism and Developing Countries: A Primer", Journal of World Trade, 2007, 41(2), 351-69.
- "Why OECD Countries should Reform Rules of Origin", (with Olivier Cadot), forthcoming in World Bank Research Observer, also as CEPR DP No. 6172
Work in Progress
- “Market Access and Welfare under Free Trade Agreements: Textiles under NAFTA", (with Olivier Cadot, Céline Carrère et Alberto Portugal-Pérez) World Bank Economic Review, 2005 , 19(3), 415-30, a previous version can be found as "How Much Market Access in FTAS? Textiles Under NAFTA", CEPR DP # 5264.
- "Has Distance Died? Evidence from a panel Gravity Model", (with Jean-François Brun, Céline Carrère and Patrick Guillaumont) World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Economic Review, 2005, 19(1): 99-120.
- "Are Different Rules of Origin Equally Costly: Estimates from NAFTA" (with Céline Carrère), in Cadot et al. eds. "The Origin of Goods: Rules of Origin in Regional Trade Agreements", 2006, also available as CEPR DP#4437,
- "Rules of Origin in North-South Preferential Trading Arrangements with an Application to NAFTA", (with José Anson, Olivier Cadot, Antoni Estevadeordal, and Bolormaa Tumurchudur), Review of International Economics, 2005, (3/3), 501-517.
- “Rules of Origin for Preferential Trading Arrangements: Implications for the ASEAN FTA of EU and US Experience”, (with Olivier Cadot et Alberto Portugal-Pérez), forthcoming in the Journal of Economic Integration, also available as World Bank Working Paper #4016.
- "The Elimination of Madagascar's Vanilla Marketing Boards, Ten Years On", (with Olivier Cadot and Laure Dutoit), CEPR DP#5548.
- "Unravelling the World-Wide Pollution Haven Effect", (with Jean-Marie Grether and Nicole Mathys), CEPR DP#5815
- "Anti-Dumping Sunset Reviews: The Uneven Reach of WTO Disciplines", (with Olivier Cadot and Laure Dutoit), CEPR DP#6502.
- "Openness, Inequality and Poverty: Endowments Matter", (with Julien Gourdon and Nicolas Maystre) , CEPR DP#5738.
Mise à jour: Octobre 2007
Back to Dept. of Political Economy Home Page