Procedure (for new applicants)
Before you begin the enrollment procedure, please use the "guide" to find out about the conditions of enrollment, deadlines, documents to provide, etc.
Step 1: Ask for an access code
If you fulfill the enrollment conditions and are within the deadline, click on the online enrollment access. You will have to enter a user name (login= your e-mail address) and a password, which will permit you to begin the enrollment procedure. If you have already created an account, go to Step 2 - even if you have lost your password (you will be able to request the generation of a new password).
Step 2: Complete the online application for enrollment
Clic here to go to the online application form presented in a series of dialogue windows.
Confirm your enrollment application when you have entered all requisite information. Print twice the completed enrollment application form which includes the list of the documents to be submitted to us.
Nota bene :
Step 3: Pay the registration fee
Holders of a foreign or international secondary degree are subject to an registration fee of CHF 65 to cover the costs of processing their applications.
The payment must be made online as soon as the enrollment application has been confirmed.
- Click on “ Method of payment for applicants with foreign or international diplomas” and follow the instructions. The fee is payable by credit card, PostFinance, Paysafecard, PayPalor or paypal (which allows payment through a transitional account). No other means of payment (for example, cash or check) is accepted.
To return to the payment page:
- Return to the ORISIS page and enter your username and password.
- Click on " Formalities required for completion of the application”
- Then on " Method of payment for applicants with foreign or international diplomas”
- Follow the instructions
The registration fee is deducted from the first semester’s university fees. It is not reimbursed in case of rejection, withdrawal, or incomplete application, regardless of the reason.
Step 4: Assemble an enrollment file
The various documents to be included in your enrollment file are indicated when using the "guide". They are also listed at the end of the enrollment application form. You must include all documents indicated or account for their absence. Incomplete files will not be considered, and the University will not enter into correspondence with applicants. Under no circumstances should candidates submit original degree certificates.
- In addition to the application for enrollment, completed application forms have to be submitted (if required by the faculty/school) along with all required documentation form. They will only be considered in association with an application for enrollment.
- (optional) Application for equivalencies (Bachelor's degree programs only)
- Admission to master's programs (one file for EACH program for which you are applying - if required by the faculty/school)
- Admission to complementary certificates (one file for EACH program for which you are applying - if required by the faculty/school)
- Admission to doctoral programs (one file for EACH program for which you are applying - if required by the faculty/school)
Step 5: Submit your enrollment file
Candidates must submit their complete files by post to:
Service des admissions
Rue du Général-Dufour 24
1211 Geneva 4
Deadlines : The application file must be postmarked no later than the deadline indicated in the relevant part of the "guide", regardless of whether the candidate has received the degree necessary for enrollment to the University by that date.
The earlier you send us your file, the better your chances of receiving a quick response. As soon as their file has been received, candidates will be sent confirmation of receipt by post or e-mail.
Processing of your application, and admission decisions
- When your enrollment application arrives at the Admissions Office, an email will be sent to you confirming that it has been received. Please note that postal mail from outside Europe can take several weeks to arrive in Geneva.
- UNIGE uses the generic email addresses “email@example.com”, “firstname.lastname@example.org” or "email@example.com" to communicate with you. Please add these addresses to your contacts to ensure that messages from these addresses will not end up in your spam/junk mail folders.
- Please note that it is not possible to send email messages to these generic addresses. You will need to log into the online platform: admissions.unige.ch (then click on "Ask us a question"). Whenever corresponding (by post or via our platform) with the University during the enrollment process, you must always cite your last name and first name, your identification number and the Faculty/School/Institute of your choice.
- If you change your postal address or email address, please inform us as soon as possible via our online platform: admissions.unige.ch (then click on "Ask us a question").
- Please regularly check your postal mail and email for our reply, which will be sent once we have analyzed your file.
- If your application is accepted (sometimes with conditions), you will receive an email with an Enrollment certificate as an attachment (in French, and in English). In certain cases, if your file has been submitted to a Faculty or Institute, you will also receive an admission letter from them. This letter will specify any conditions you must meet in order to confirm your enrollment. If your candidacy has been accepted conditional upon the successful passing of an exam or French test, or of ECUS exam , you will be informed accordingly and provided with registration forms.
- If additional documents are requested, an email is sent by the admissions office and a period of 8 days is usually given to send the documents. If the documents are not sent within the given deadline, the application file is considered incomplete and no action is taken on it for the semester applied for.
- If your application is rejected
- because you do not meet the enrollment requirements, you will receive notification by registered mail from the Admissions Office;
- because you do not meet the admissions requirements of the Faculty/Institute/Center/School, you will be notified by the Faculty/Institute/Center/School.
Step 6: Enroll during the enrollment period
You will find on the Enrollment certificate all information necessary for completing enrollment as of the beginning of September (Autumn semester) / beginning of February (Spring semester) in Geneva during the enrollment period. You will have to make an appointment in the given enrollment period (usually the three weeks preceding the beginning of the semester).
Once you have obtained your student visa, if necessary, you must come on the date of your appointment to the hall of the Uni Dufour building (Rue du Général-Dufour 24) with the documents indicated on the Certificate. You will specifically be asked to supply: your Enrollment certificate; the original of your secondary school-leaving diploma (if applying to a bachelor's), the original of your university diploma (if applicable); an address in Switzerland, or in the neighbouring regions of France, valid during your studies at the University.
When all formalities have been completed, you will receive:
- your multi-service student ID card;
- the BVR payment slip for the first semester fees;
- your login credentials for the University’s digital resources (username and password);
- your institutional email address (Firstname.Lastname@etu.unige.ch)
Candidates who are unable to enroll during the enrollment period on the dates indicated for reasons beyond their control are asked to contact the Admissions Office: admissions.unige.ch (then click on "Ask us a question").
Cancel your application
If you decide not to pursue your application - at any time, even after you have been admitted, please let us know on our online platform admissions.unige.ch (then "click here..."). This will ensure that we no longer inconvenience you unnecessarily.
If you wish to reactivate your application the following semester or year, click here for the relevant procedure.