- Applications for the AUTUMN semester (September - January) open in January.
- Applications for the SPRING semester (February - August) open mid-September --> WARNING: only a few programs offer the possibility to start in the Spring semester. See list on this page
The enrollment process is available to candidates who have never been enrolled at the University of Geneva before. If you have studied at UNIGE before, please click here.
Conditions of enrollment
Please use the "guide" to find out about the conditions of enrollment according to your specific situation.
For doctoral programs, a specific page provides all the information necessary to begin your studies.
- Ask for an access code to fill in the enrollment application form.
- Complete the online enrollment application form.
If you have already applied once, reactivate your application.
Please refer to the "guide" for deadlines related to your specific situation:
The application file must be postmarked no later than the deadline indicated in the relevant part of the "guide", regardless of whether the candidate for enrollment has received the degree necessary for enrollment to the University by that date. Such a candidate must submit all requisite documents to the Service des admissions (Admissions Office) and indicate when he or she will be able to submit the certificate in question.
For doctoral programs, there is no specific application deadline, except for GSEM.
Candidates must submit all required documentation for the determination of their eligibility, as set out in the instructions for the assembly of an enrollment file provided in an appendix to the enrollment application form. Under no circumstances should candidates submit original degree certificates. Incomplete files will not be considered, and the University will not enter into correspondence with applicants.
- General list of documents to provide (altough the list is more specific to your situation when using the "guide")
Application for equivalencies (Bachelor's degree programs only)
The application for equivalencies is for students having previously undertaken university-level studies (completed or not) and who wish to obtain equivalencies to be applied towards a future Bachelor's degree program. This application is optional.
Applications for equivalencies will only be considered in association with an application for enrollment. The two applications will be decided upon separately: applications for equivalences, processed at the faculty/institute/center level, is subordinate to the decision of the Admissions Office regarding enrollment eligibility.
- Equivalencies are not available for Bachelor's degrees from the Faculty of Translation and Interpreting (FTI).
- Equivalencies for Bachelor's degrees from the Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences (FPSE) must be applied for with the Academic Advisor during the first three weeks of the semester.
- For the Bachelor’s Degree in International Relations (BARI) of the Global Studies Institute (GSI), see the BARI rules and regulations.
Admission to master's programs
If you wish to apply for a Master's program, the completed application form, along with all required documentation, is required.
Exception: this application file is not required for those applying to the following programme/faculties/institutes:
- Master's in Neuroscicences
- Geneva School of Ecconomics and Management (GSEM)
- Faculty of Translation and Interpreting (FTI)
- Global Studies Institute (GSI)
- the University Institute of Teacher Education (IUFE)
Application for admission to Master's programs and all accompanying documentation will only be considered when submitted in association with an application for enrollment. The two applications will be decided upon separately: the application for admission to a master’s program, processed at the faculty or institute level, is subordinate to the decision of the Admissions Office regarding enrollment eligibility.
Admission to complementary certificates
If you wish to apply for the Complementary Certificate in Informatics (Faculty of Science), all Complementary Certificates of the Geneva School of Social Sciences (except the one in Geomatics) and the Complementary Certificate in Theology, the completed application form, along with all required documentation, is required.
Application for admission to Certificates and all accompanying documentation will only be considered when submitted in association with an application for enrollment. The two applications will be decided upon separately: the application for admission to a certificate, processed at the faculty level, is subordinate to the decision of the Admissions Office regarding enrollment eligibility.
Admission to doctoral programs
Follow the procedure that applies to you:
- Students new to UNIGE (application for enrollment) and use the "guide"
- Former UNIGE students (re-enrollment)
- As a rule, bachelor's candidates not subject to the ECUS exam (as defined by the "guide") are required to sit a French qualifying exam.
- For several master's programs (as defined by the "guide"), there is either no need for a French exam or the exam is only of an informative nature and French proficiency is not needed.
- For doctoral programs, please check with the faculty/school or program concerned.
Holders of a foreign or international secondary degree are subject to an enrollment fee of CHF 65 to cover the costs of processing their applications. It is payable by credit card, PostFinance, Paysafecard, PayPalor or paypal (which allows payment through a transitional account). No other means of payment (for example, cash or check) is accepted.
The enrollment fee is deducted from the first semester’s university fees. It is not reimbursed in case of rejection, withdrawal, or incomplete application, regardless of the reason.
Paying the Enrollment Fee
- The payment must be made online as soon as the enrollment application has been confirmed.
- Click on “ Method of payment for applicants with foreign or international diplomas” and follow the instructions.
To return to the payment page:
- Return to the ORISIS page and enter your username and password.
- Click on " Formalities required for completion of the application”
- Then on " Method of payment for applicants with foreign or international diplomas”
- Follow the instructions
Tuition fees in the amount of CHF 500.- per semester (CHF 65.- in fixed fees and CHF 435.- in semester fees) must be paid by e-banking or by means of the postal deposit slip supplied in September during the enrollment period for the autumn semester. Applications for exemption from semester fees on grounds of financial difficulties must be made by means of the form available from the Pôle Santé Social (University office for information on student welfare) during the first few weeks of the academic year, and are to be submitted to that same office by the deadline indicated.