5 key questions about the Library and swisscovery
On the occasion of the start of the new academic year, the UNIGE Library offers 5 essential questions/answers to access its resources and services related to the borrowing of documents from the swisscovery UNIGE catalogue:
1. What are the opening hours of the Library?
During the academic year, the opening hours are:
- Monday-Friday, 8 am-10 pm
- Saturday-Sunday, 9 am-6 pm
Consult the Opening Hours pageto find out the specificities by site and by holiday period or download the UNIGE mobile application, which also allows you to see the number of workplaces available in real time.
2. As a student, is it necessary to register at the Library to access its services?
The multiservice card serves as a library card, but you have to register with SWITCH-Edu ID and swisscovery in order to borrow documents.
The detailed step-by-step registration procedure is available at this link.
3. How many documents can I borrow and for how long?You can borrow up to 100 documents, for 28 days*.
Documents are automatically extended 5 times, unless the document has been requested by another user.
* Restrictions may apply for certain documents or for certain users.
4. What happens if I return documents late?
Documents not returned on time generate overdue fees that are common for the entire SLSP network:
- 1 day after loan term: free reminder
- 6 days after the free reminder: 1st paying reminder: 5 CHF per document
- 6 days after the 1st paying reminder: 2nd paying reminder: an additional CHF 5 per document
- 6 days after the 2nd paying reminder: 3rd paying reminder: an additional CHF 10 per document
- For documents with a loan term shorter than 28 days, the deadline for reminders issuing is shortened accordingly.
- The account is blocked after the 3rd reminder.
- For lost or non-returned documents, a replacement fee applies.
- Fees owed are sent by email and payable by invoice only. It is no longer pos-sible to pay these fees at the Library reception desks.
- FAQs on billing by SLSP for fee-based swisscovery services
5. How do I search for a document in swisscovery?
Consult the swisscovery UNIGE Helpand do not hesitate to ask the librarians for a demonstration if necessary.
You can also register for training courses (only in french)
Each semester, the Library also offers other "Rendez-vous de l'info scientifique" on numerous themes: documentary research (press or disciplinary database, use of bibliographic management tools, etc.).September 17, 2023