Autism spectrum disorders
What documentation is required for autism spectrum disorder (ASD)?
1. An assessment report confirming your diagnosis must be attached to your accomodation request form if you have been diagnosed with:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Childhood Autism
- Asperger’s Syndrome
- Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD or TDE in French)
- This assessment report must have been carried out by a psychologist or psychiatrist
This assessment report must contain:
- The location (the office with the name of the doctor, specialised centre, etc.) and the year in which the diagnosis was made.
- Anamnestic information relevant to the diagnosis (i.e. information showing that the signs of ASD were already present during childhood). This data may have been collected on a voluntary basis or by means of a standardised assessment tool (e.g. Autism Diagnostic Interview (ADI)).
- Clinical observations made by the psychologist or psychiatrist that are relevant to the diagnosis (i.e. signs of ASD observed during the assessment).
- These observations may have been collected on a voluntary basis or using a standardised assessment tool (e.g. Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS)).
- For students who grew up in Switzerland: a decision for medical measures from the Disability Insurance (OIC 405) is also considered a valid document.
A certificate mentioning only the diagnosis is not a valid document.
2. What if you have been diagnosed with ASD and also have other difficulties?
If you have been diagnosed with ASD and also have other difficulties (for example attention deficit disorder with or without hyperactivity, anxiety disorder or dyspraxia), we recommend that you apply for ASD accomodation. As part of the documents to be submitted, you should also attach a recent assessment demonstrating these other difficulties (see documents to be provided in the relevant tabs).
3. What if you think you have a diagnosis of ASD but never had an assessment proving your diagnosis?
You can contact the Consultation for people with Autism Spectrum Disorders and Associated Disorders of the Pôle cité FPSE, in order to find the relevant procedures according to your situation. If the assessment or additional assessment is carried out at the Pôle Cité FPSE, the costs are to be paid by the student and are charged as follows:
- Analysis of the file: CHF 145.‑/hour
- Additional assessment: CHF 145.‑/hour
- Complete assessment: CHF 500.‑