The doctorate is based on an individual research project under the supervision of a thesis director. Candidates for a UNIGE doctorate must hold a Master's degree or an equivalent title.
General conditions of registration
Deadlines and conditions for registration for a doctorate
For students currently studying at the UNIGE, please contact the secretariat of the Faculty of Science to inform them of your wish to pursue a doctorate in the same Faculty:
For former students (students who have already been enrolled at the UNIGE and wish to return to do a PhD):
- - Find a professor willing to follow your thesis topic and ask for a certificate confirming this
- - Request your re-registration on the online plateform of the Admissions Service
- - Fill out the form that you will receive by email, scan the requested documents, including the professor's attestation, and send it via the online plateform
For new students:
- -Find a professor willing to be your thesis advisor who will thus supervise your work.
- - CThen contact directly the professor with whom you wish to work. If there is a correlation between your academic project and the needs of the department, he or she will let you know if a doctoral assistant position is available.
- - Apply for registration (at the Admissions Service):
- Fill out the online form
- Put together your application for registration
- Complete your doctoral application file (download and complete the form and complete the file)
- Pay the registration fee - depending on the case
- Send your application (complete file) by mail to the Admissions Service: Service des admissions, Université de Genève, 24 rue du Général Dufour, 1211 Genève 4.