21 septembre 2021: Water: weapon of war or instrument of peace?
On the occasion of World Peace Day, the news platform Geneva Solutions, the Geneva Press Club-Club suisse de la presse, and the Geneva Water Hub, a centre of the University of Geneva specialised in hydropolitics and hydrodiplomacy, are pleased to invite you their event, “Water: weapon of war or instrument of peace?”.
This conference will reunite two panels of top speakers from high-level organisations to debate on Water security and Water diplomacy. The first panel will focus on the global approach on water security, specifically regarding water in armed conflict. The second panel will debate the question of water security related to peacebuilding in the Sahel region with insights on the impact of the security crisis on the local communities and an exchange on the international community’s response to the crisis.
WHEN AND WHERE
Hybrid format: at the Geneva Press Club (Domaine de Penthes, Chemin de l’Impératrice 18, 1292 Pregny-Chambésy) and online (register here)
Watch the event on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDz20ljAHYY
Moderated panel debate
Moderators: Kasmira Jefford, Geneva Solutions Editor-in-Chief and Pierre Ruetschi, Geneva Press Club Executive Director.
• Michael Møller, Former Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations
1st Panel: Water Security: How to prevent conflicts and preserve resources?
- Segolene Adam, Chief of Humanitarian Policy at UNICEF
- Martin Chungong, Secretary-General of the Inter-Parliamentary Union
- Abdoulaye Sène, Co-President of the International steering committee of the 9th World Water Forum
- Mara Tignino, Lead Legal Specialist for Geneva Water Hub
- Patrick Youssef, Regional Director for Africa, ICRC
2nd Panel: Water as a driver of peace in the Sahel region
- Jean Bosco Bazié, President of Eau Vive Internationale
- Général Emmanuel de Romémont, Founder of More Water For Sahel
- Baaba Maal, Singer and Guitarist, Land Ambassador for the UN Convention to Combat Desertification
- Ambassador Marion Weichelt, Swiss Ambassador to West Africa
• Dr Danilo Türk, Lead Political Advisor for Geneva Water Hub, Former President of Slovenia