Geneva Internet L@w
Research Colloquium 2016
in cooperation with
The Research Colloquium
The first edition of the Geneva Internet L@w Research Colloquium, organized by the School of Law of the University of Geneva in collaboration with the Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University, the CRIDES Center for Economic Law and Society at the Catholic University of Louvain (UCL), the Digital Asia Hub, the Geneva Internet Platform and the Institute for Technology and Society of Rio, took place on Friday June 24, 2016, at the Fondation Hardt in Geneva.
The colloquium provided researchers working in Internet law the opportunity to:
- present their work-in-progress to a panel of experienced Internet law experts,
- engage with one another in an informal setting,
- have in-depth discussions and exchanges, and
- receive helpful feedback and advice.
It also afforded selected participants the opportunity to gain speaker experience in that they were able to present their work to the students attending the Geneva Internet L@w Summer School.
Topics covered by the researchers included Search Neutrality and Algorithmic Accountability, Wireless Community Networks, and the Legal Protection of Business Information. The full programme is available here
For its first edition, the Geneva Internet L@w Research Colloquium welcomed an international group of researchers from Belgium, Italy, the Netherlands, and the US.
- Prof. Chris Bavitz, Managing Director of the Cyberlaw Clinic, Clinical Professor at Harvard Law School, Director at the Berkman Center for Internet & Society
- Prof. Christian Bovet, Law School, University of Geneva
- Prof. Sergio Branco, Director of ITSRio
- Prof. Jacques de Werra, Law School, University of Geneva
- Prof. Urs Gasser, Executive Director of the Berkman Center for Internet & Society, Professor of Practice at Harvard Law School
- Malavika Jayaram, Executive Director of the Digital Asia Hub
- Dr. Jovan Kurbalija, Founding director of DiploFoundation and Head of the Geneva Internet Platform
- Prof. Alain Strowel, Professor at Catholic University of Louvain, CRIDES Center for Economic Law and Society, and at University Saint-Louis, Brussels
Prof. Jacques de Werra, Law School, University of Geneva
Dr Yaniv Benhamou, Law School, University of Geneva
Evelyne Studer, Law School, University of Geneva
Testimonials of the Researchers
Jill Bronfman, University of California, Hastings College of the Law
"The University of Geneva’s Summer Research Colloquium was an important step in the academic cycle of our paper, “Saving Face: The Screen of Chinese Privacy Law Unfolds.” We received valuable feedback from commentators on our initial draft and will be able to present a polished paper to the Asian Privacy Scholars’ Network in Auckland, New Zealand in December 2016. In addition, the summer in Geneva is filled with opportunities to swim in the lake, visit unique museums, and stroll the cobblestones of the old town with colleagues old and new."