enviroSPACE Lab., University of Geneva, Battelle D, 7 route de Drize, 1227 Carouge, Switzerland
Email: LinkedIn profileI
Areas of Interest
big data, human well-being, ecosystem services, medical geography, Latin America
- University of Geneva: Ph.D. in Environmental Science, expected 2019, Ecosystem Services, Dissertation: “The Knowledge Economy of Ecosystem Services with Big Data”
- San Diego State University: M.S. in Geographic Information Science, 2011, GIScience, Geocomputation, Geovisualization, Cartography Thesis: “An Integrated Toolset for Exploration of Spatio-Temporal Data Using SOMs and GIS”
- Macalester College: B.A. in Computer Science, 2004, Computational Theory, Computer Vision, GIScience Capstone Thesis: “Stereo Imaging: Depth Reconstruction from Images”
- Research Assistant, Institute for Environmental Sciences, 2015-present, Ecosystem Services Research
- Senior Software Engineer, The Natural Capital Project, 2014, Development of Crop Production Model, Earth Genome Data Storage and Management Infrastructure
- Software Engineer, The Natural Capital Project, 2012-2014, Development of Recreation, Aesthetic Quality, Blue Carbon, and Scenario Generator InVEST Models
- GIS Analyst, The Natural Capital Project, 2011-2012, Gathering, Processing, and Analysis of Data for National Climate Assessment
University of Zurich
- Fulbright Scholar, Dept. of Geographic Info. Visualization and Analysis, 2008-2009, Software Development for Eye-Tracking Analysis, Point Pattern Analysis, and Self-Organizing Maps
- Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Geographic Info. Visualization and Analysis, 2008, Assisting During Cartography Labs (GEO 115), Grading Assignments
San Diego State University
- Graduate Assistant, Department of Geography, 2007-2008, Software Development for Text Visualization using Term-Document Matrices and Self-Organizing Maps
- Research Assistant, Department of Geography, 2007, Oracle Database Creation and Maintenance for Information Visualization
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Geography, 2006-2007, Assisting During GIScience and Cartography Labs (GEOG 380, 484, 584), Grading Assignments and Tests
- Information Technology Education Volunteer, Dominican Republic, 2005, Developing Community Internet Cafe, Teaching Computer Literacy
- GIS Technician, 2004, Predatory Lending Website using Mapserver
- Multicultural Admissions Assistant, 2001-2002, Recruitment Event Planning
- Researcher, Department of Computer Science, 2001, Computer Vision Modeling using VRML
- Office Assistant / Computer Lab Monitor, Department of Biology, 2000-2001
- Wood, S. A., Guerry, A.D., Silver, J.M., and Lacayo, M. (2013). Using social media to quantify nature-based tourism and recreation. Scientific Reports, October 2013. 3(2976).
- Arkema, K.K., Guannel, G., Verutes, G., Wood, S.A., Guerry, A.D., Ruckelshaus, M., Kareiva, P.,Lacayo, M., and Silver, J.M. (2013). Coastal habitats shield people and property from sea-level rise and storms. Nature Climate Change, October 2013. 3: p. 913-918.
- Coltekin, A., Fabrikant, S.I., and Lacayo, M. (2010). Exploring the efficiency of users' visual analytics strategies based on sequence analysis of eye movement recordings.International Journal of Geographical Information Science, October 2010. 24(10): p. 1559-1575.
- Sharp, R., Tallis, H.T., Ricketts, T., Guerry, A.D., Wood, S.A., Chaplin-Kramer, R., Nelson, E., Ennaanay, D., Wolny, S., Olwero, N., Vigerstol, K., Pennington, D., Mendoza, G., Aukema, J., Foster, J., Forrest, J., Cameron, D., Arkema, K., Lonsdorf, E., Kennedy, C., Verutes, G., Kim, C.K., Guannel, G., Papenfus, M., Toft, J., Marsik, M., Bernhardt, J., Griffin, R., Glowinski, K., Chaumont, N., Perelman, A., Lacayo, M., Mandle, L., Griffin, R., and Hamel, P. (2014). InVEST tip User’s Guide. The Natural Capital Project, Stanford.
- Coltekin, A., De Sabbata, S., Willi, C., Vontobel, I., Pfister, S., Kuhn, M., and Lacayo, M. (2011). Modifiable temporal unit problem. ISPRS/ICA workshop “Persistent problems in geographic visualization”(ICC2011), Paris, France, July 3-8, 2011.
- Lacayo-Emery, M. (2011) An Integrated Toolset for Exploration of Spatio-Temporal Data Using SOMs and GIS. San Diego, CA: Montezuma Publishing.
- Lacayo, M. and Skupin, A. (2007) A GIS-based Visualization Module for Self-Organizing Maps. Proceedings of 23rd International Cartographic Conference, Moscow, Russia, August 4-10, 2007.
- Lacayo, M., and Skupin, A. (2007). A GIS-based Module for Training and Visualization of Self-Organizing Maps. Working paper, accepted to the Workshop of the ICA Commission on Visualization and Virtual Environments,‘From Geovisualization to Geovisual Analytics’, Helsinki, Finland, August 2-3, 2007.
- Buffington, O., Lacayo-Emery, M., Lund, L., Mearns, B., Merrill, M., Morgan, M., Ofsevit, A., Pedersen, M., Sokol, A., Spencer, J., Spurlock, R., and Trkulja, J. (2004). Foreclosures in the Twin Cities: Analysis of Spatial Trends. Saint Paul, MN: Macalester College.
- Lacayo, M. (2013). Recreation Model. Annual Meeting and InVEST Training. Stanford, March 13-15, 2013.
- Lacayo, M. (2012). Recreation Model: Tools and Techniques. Stanford InVEST Training. Stanford, California, February 7-9, 2012.
- Lacayo, M. (2007). A GIS-based Visualization Module for Self-Organizing Maps. International Cartographic Conference. Moscow, Russia, August 4-10, 2007.
- Lacayo, M. (2007). A GIS-based Module for Training and Visualization of Self-Organizing Maps. International Cartographic Association Workshop, Commission on GeoVisualization. Helsinki University of Technology, Helsinki, Finland, Aug. 2-3, 2007.
- Skupin, A., Pang, W.J., and Lacayo, M. (2007). Comparative Visual Analysis of “cartography” using Content- and Network-based Approaches. Workshop of the Commission on Visualization and Virtual Environments, International Cartographic Association. Helsinki University of Technology, Helsinki, Finland, August 2-3, 2007.
- Lacayo, M. (2007). Integrating Self-Organizing Maps and GIS: A GIS-centered Solution for SOMs. Annual Meeting of the American Geographers. San Francisco, California, March 17-21, 2007.
- Buffington, O., Lacayo-Emery, M., Lund, L., Mearns, B., Merrill, M., Morgan, M., Ofsevit, A., Pedersen, M., Sokol, A., Spencer, J., Spurlock, R., and Trkulja, J. (2004). Foreclosures in the Twin Cities: Analysis of Spatial Trends. Requested report. Federal Reserve Bank of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, May 2004.
- Lund, L., Lacayo-Emery, M., Mearns, B., Ofsevit, A., and Sokol, A. (2004). GIS Analysis of Foreclosures in the Twin Cities. Annual Meeting and Winchell Undergraduate Symposium, Minnesota Academy of Sciences. Saint John's University, Collegeville, Minnesota, April 23-24, 2004.
- Lacayo-Emery, M. (2001). 3D Imaging, Hughes Summer Science Symposium. Macalester College, Saint Paul, Minnesota, August 2001.
Technical Trainings Offered
- InVEST Training, Stanford, March 26-28, 2014
- QGIS Tutorial, Stanford, January 30, 2014
- RIOS Training, Panama City, June 20-21, 2013
- InVEST Training, Stanford, March 13-15, 2013
- InVEST Training, Stanford, February 7-9, 2012
- ESRI, Space-Time Modeling and Analysis Workshop Travel Grant, 2010
- Fulbright / Swiss Federal Student Scholarship, 2008-2009
- San Diego State University, Alvena Storm Memorial Scholarship, 2006-2007
- US-ICA, International Cartographic Conference Travel Grant, 2007
- San Diego State University, AAG Conference Travel Grant, 2007
- Philanthropic Group, Human Use in Mountain Areas Conference Travel Grant, 2001
- Macalester College, Howard Hughes Summer Research Institute, 2001
- Macalester College, Howard Hughes Summer Science Program, 2000
- Graduate Student Represent, Dept. of Geography, San Diego State Univ., 2007-2008, Attend Faculty Meetings, Advocate for Students
- Geography Club Treasurer, Department of Geography, San Diego State Univ., 2006-2007, Maintain Budget, Make Payments, Seek Additional Sources of Funding
- Member, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Macalester College, 2000-2004, Study Science, Support Others Studying Science
- President, Adelante! (Latino Student Organization), Macalester College, 2001-2002, Promote Cultural Understanding, Foster a Support Network for Latino Students
- Co-chair, Multicultural Admissions Student Advisory Board, Macalester College, 2001-2002, Plan and Coordinate Recruitment Activities with Students and Other Cultural Organizations
- Member, Pluralism and Unity Program, 2000-2001, Participate in Cross-Cultural Awareness Programs
JSON, RST, SVG, HTML, VRML, XML
PostgreSQL, PostGIS, Oracle, ArcSDE
ArcGIS, QGIS, OpenJUMP, GDAL, GRASS
Spanish: Proficient (CEFR ~C1)
German: Elementary (CEFR A2)
French: Beginner (CEFR ~A1)