Short course Protection of Civilians, from Humanitarian to Peace Operations
Period19 September 2022 - 30 September 2022
Registration deadline4 September 2022
Total fees: CHF 1’700.-
Deposit: (upon acceptance of admission): CHF 400.-
There is no available scholarship for this programme.
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Discuss the main protection of civilians conceptual frameworks, definitions, principles and related world-level policy issues
- Explain where the protection of civilians lies within the political, peace and security agenda, but also under humanitarian or development action
- Identify and analyse protection actors, threats and risks
- Describe professional protection standards, programming/operations, mechanisms and processes
- Distinguish and assess various protection field strategies
Professional of international and regional peace operations, national defence and security forces who wishes to increase their understanding of protection of civilians at institutional and field level
Graduate student with relevant volunteer or intern experience, looking to undertake a postgraduate course with a view to entering the humanitarian sector
- History and Politics of Protection
- Protection Principles and Operational Realities
- Protection Norms, Policies and Doctrines
- Unveiling Evolving Protection Concepts and Modes of Action
- Introduction to Field Protection Strategies
- Protection Actors and Analysis
- Critical Review of Field-level Protection Action
- Case Studies
Prof. Karl BLANCHET, Geneva Centre of Humanitarian Studies, a joint Centre of the University of Geneva and the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (IHEID), Geneva
- a university qualification (bachelor’s degree or equivalent);
- at least three years of relevant professional experience;
- excellent command of English;
- motivation working in the humanitarian sector.
- CV (Résumé)
- Copy of your highest diploma
- Work certificate or official document of your current job position
- Scanned copy of passport.
More information about the admission process is available on our application page.