Short course Legal Framework of Humanitarian Action
- Analyse the legal dimensions of humanitarian crises
- Present the main rules of international humanitarian and human rights law pertaining to humanitarian action
- Explain the key provisions of international refugee law
- Apply the relevant rules of international law in a specific case
- The Legal Framework of Humanitarian Action
- Human Rights Law and Social Exclusion
- Introduction to Forced Migration and the Protection of Refugees
- IHL and Human Rights Law: The Use of Force and the Protection of Civilians
- International Humanitarian Law and Non-state Actors
- Humanitarian Access
- Introduction to International Criminal Law and Court
Prof. Doris SCHOPPER, Geneva Centre for Education and Research in Humanitarian Action (CERAH), the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (IHEID), University of Geneva
Actors may use the law to present their actions in the best light possible or to discredit others. Humanitarian projects can become entangled in this situation – to steer a clear path and use international law to advance humanitarian objectives, humanitarian workers need a good legal grounding. This seminar provides an introduction to the legal protection of victims of armed conflict and the work of UN human rights mechanism, among other topics.
This short course is developed jointly with the International Committee of the Red Cross.