CAS Accountability to Affected People 2023
Period3 April 2023 - 25 June 2023
Registration deadline5 March 2023
CHF 5,000 (non-DAC countries) / CHF 3,000 (for participants from “least developed”, “low income” and “lower-middle income” countries, according to the DAC list of ODA recipients). Participants must also cover the cost of the residential week in Kenya (flight, accommodation, visa costs).
At the end of the CAS, participants will have developed the relevant skills to design and adapt humanitarian strategies and projects related to AAP in line with the specificities of each context.
More specifically, participants will be able to:
- Define the AAP concept and relate it to other humanitarian values
- Explain the origins of the concept of AAP and discuss its boundaries
- Understand the philosophical, conceptual underpinnings of responsibility, accountability, and moral principles in humanitarianism
- Differentiate the institutional ingredients of AAP
- Understand how organizational cultures impact accountability mechanisms on the local/ national/ regional and global level
- Plan and conduct the evaluation of the AAP strategy in a humanitarian project
- Appraise their project organization and team through the AAP lens
- Formulate evaluation strategies and tools adapted to their project/organization
Professionals from other sectors (private, academic, etc.) who wish to increase their understanding of the humanitarian field and develop their competence in accountability to affected people.
Module I: The origins and evolution of AAP
- Week 1: What is accountability to affected people (AAP)? (3- 9 April 2023)
- Week 2: Accountability as a relationship (10-16 April 2023)
Module II: Actors in AAP
- Week 3: Accountability as culture: certifications and standards (17-23 April 2023)
- Week 4: Accountability as evaluation of performance. The role of donors (24-30 April 2023)
- Week 5: Accountability in programming. The practice of professional humanitarians (1-7 May 2023)
- Week 6: Accountability in the practice of civic humanitarians (8-14 May 2023)
Module III: Modalities and practices of AAP
- Week 7: Accountability as transparency: giving Account (15-21 May 2023)
- Week 8: Accountability as listening: building trust with affected people and taking account (22-28 May, 2023)
- Week 9: Accountability as flexible response & adaptation (29 May - 4 June, 2023)
- Week 10: Accountability as assessment and learning: holding to account (5-11 June 2023)
- Week 11: Residential session in Nairobi, Kenya (12-18 June, 2023)
- Week 12: Student presentations of AAP strategies formulated for their project/organization (19 – 25 June 2023)
Prof. Karl BLANCHET, Geneva Centre of Humanitarian Studies, a joint Centre of the University of Geneva and the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (IHEID), Geneva
Diploma delivered jointly by
For more details on the enrollment process visit this page.
- a university qualification (bachelor’s degree or equivalent);
- at least three years of relevant professional experience;
- excellent command of English;
- motivation working in the humanitarian sector.
Documents Required For Your Online Enrollment
- Curriculum vitae
- Copy of the certificate for the highest qualification you have obtained
- Two letters of recommendation
- Evidence of your English language competencies (TOEIC / TOEFL or equivalent)
- Copies of work certificates from your last job position
- A passport photo (jpg format)
- A scanned copy of the passport.
Please provide a proof of your English language level according to the following conditions:
(1) You are a native English speaker: please provide a copy of your passport.
(2) You have been working for at least five years in English: please provide a certificate from your employer specifying your level of English, or provide a copy of the English test you have undertaken internally with your employer.
(3) You do not meet the conditions (1) or (2): please provide an English language level certification. Please refer to https://humanitarianstudies.ch/application/ for recognised tests and scores.