Applying for the BA in Multilingual Communication
What are the admission requirements?
To study at the University of Geneva (UNIGE) and be admitted to the Faculty of Translation and Interpreting (FTI), you must:
- Fulfill the enrollment requirements of UNIGE.
You must hold a secondary school diploma (maturité gymnasia, maturité suisse, French Baccalaureate or a diploma deemed to be equivalent). You are required to familiarise yourself with the Admissions Guide and the University's official enrollment conditions .
In the latter document, you will find enrolment conditions that are specific to the FTI, which are outlined in “ PROCEDURES ET CONDITIONS D’ADMISSION PARTICULIERES ”, as well as conditions for holders of a non-Swiss diploma.
- Fulfill the FTI's admission conditions
You must choose three languages for your combination. Your A language is your mother tongue or language of education. We expect you to have a perfect oral and written command of this language. Based on your A language, you can select your two B languages (also called “passive languages”) from the language combination chart. These three languages make up your language combination.
Also have a look at the general description page for this degree.
What does the entrance exam consist of?
You will be required to sit for three different tests:
- An A language test , to assess your writing skills and knowledge of your native language.
- A test for each of your B languages that allows us to assess your writing skills and understanding of your non-native languages.
What level of proficiency is required?
You must have a perfect command of your A language. You should be able to write a text that is logical, well-structured and written in a suitable style. With regard to your passive languages, we recommend that you have at least a B2 level under the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Exemption from the passive language tests:
You may be exempt from a B language test if you hold a diploma or certificate confirming that you have at least a B2 level in that language under the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, or if you have completed a minimum of two years of secondary school or university education with that language as the language of instruction. Please look at the conditions for being exempt from the B language tests for the Ba. Exemptions are not granted for Italian Sign Language (LSI).
If this is your second attempt at the entrance exam, you can ask to be exempt from the tests you passed on your first attempt and request that those grades be retained (A and B languages). However, your exam results are only valid for a year.
Applicants who don't have French in their FTI language combination must also sit for UNIGE's French exam (a basic language test that is independent of the FTI's entrance exam), unless you meet the University's exemption conditions.
When and where will the entrance exam take place?
The entrance exam will take place online from 18 to 20 April 2023.
Results will be published on 16 June 2023.
How do I apply to the FTI
How do I register for the FTI entrance exams?
Register at the FTI and sit for the entrance exams.
- Registration period: from 1 September 2022 to 28 February 2023
|You don't have a SWITCH edu-ID login||
What is the SWITCH edu-ID? https://www.switch.ch/edu-id/.
Create an account using your private email address: https://eduid.ch/web/registration/1/
- Having problems creating your account?
|You already have a SWITCH edu-ID login||
Log in to https://eduid.ch and check to make sure that your profile contains a private email address (please do not use your university email).
- Having issues logging in to your account?
|Prepare all the documents required to register|
|Register for the entrance exams on the FTI's online platform||
- Use your « SWITCH edu-ID » account (see 1st step) to connect to the FTI's online registration platform.
- Select Private Person or Compte personnel (French version) if your identity is linked to at least one institution.
- After taking note of these messages, you can begin registering for the FTI entrance exams: https://inscription.fti.unige.ch/fti/home
|The FTI will send you confirmation of your registration by email||
Check your private email regularly (including your spam folder), as the university will be using this address to send you information.
- Enrollment period: from 15 January 2023 to 28 February 2023 – for applicants with nationalities that are required to apply for a visa for a stay of more than 90 days (regardless of your current place of residence, unless you hold a Swiss permit that is valid past 30 April)
- Enrollment period: from 15 January 2023 to 30 April 2023 – for applicants who are not required to apply for a visa.
Please ensure that you send off your enrollment application even if you have not yet received your results for the FTI's entrance exam!
Being enrolled at the University means that the University has given a student permission to register in a faculty and take the courses, seminars and workshops necessary to obtain a university degree. You cannot study at UNIGE without being enrolled.
The tuition fee is CHF 500 per semester of study for both Swiss and foreign students.
There is no fee to sit for the FTI entrance exam. However, there is a fee of CHF 65 for your UNIGE enrollment application.
Please note that
your admission to the FTI will only be validated once:
* you have passed the FTI's entrance exam
* the University has accepted your enrollment application
Applicants must therefore go through two different application processes. If you do not follow this procedure, you will not be able to study at UNIGE.
Information, admissions and registration.
Mme Marie-Laure CUDET
Building: Uni Mail
Telephone: +41 (0)22 37 98708
Fax: +41 (0)22 37 98750
Office hours: Tuesday - Friday
10:00 am - 12:00 am / 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm