Apply for the Complementary Certificate Programme in Sign Language Communication
In order to study at the University of Geneva (UNIGE) and be admitted to the Faculty of Translation and Interpreting (FTI), you must:
- Fulfill UNIGE's enrollment requirements and be the holder of a university diploma
- Fulfill the FTI's admission conditions
What are the FTI's admission conditions?
- Hold a BA in Multilingual Communication or a degree deemed to be equivalent or relevant by the FTI
- Pass the FTI entrance exam
Also consult the general description page of the programme
What does the entrance exam consist of?
The exam will be evaluated on a scale from 0 to 6. You need a minimum score of 4 to pass.
What happens if I fail?
If your score is below 4, you will not be able to begin the Complementary Certificate programme in Sign Language Communication at the beginning of the new academic year. However, you have the option of sitting for the entrance exams a second time.
How strong do my language skills need to be?
You are required to have a perfect command of your A language. We recommend that you have at least an A2 level in sign language under the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
|Your mother tongue or language of education will be your A language. Sign language will be your complementary B language (i.e. passive language). These two languages form your language combination.|
Where and when will the entrance exam take place?
The entrance exam will take place online from 18 to 20 April 2023.
Results will be published on 16 June 2023.
How do I apply to the FTI
- Registration period: from 1 September 2022 to 28 February 2023
- Enrollment period: from 15 January 2023 to 28 February 2023 – for applicants with nationalities that are required to apply for a visa for a stay of more than 90 days (regardless of your current place of residence, unless you hold a Swiss permit that is valid past 30 April)
- Enrollment period: from 15 January 2023 to 30 April 2023 – for applicants who are not required to apply for a visa.
Please ensure that you send off your enrollment application even if you have not yet received your results for the FTI's entrance exam!
If you have already been unenrolled, or will be unenrolled before the beginning of your first semester at the FTI, please request to be reenrolled before the deadline.
Being enrolled means that the University has given you permission to register in a faculty and take the courses, seminars and workshops necessary to obtain a university degree. You cannot study at the FTI without being enrolled.
The tuition fee is CHF 500 per semester of study for both Swiss and foreign students.
The FTI entrance exam is free of charge. There is, however, a fee of CHF 65 for your UNIGE enrollment application.
Please note that
you may only be admitted to the FTI if:
* you have passed the FTI's entrance exam
* the University has accepted your enrollment application
Applicants must therefore go through two different application processes.
Information, admissions and registration.
Mme Marie-Laure CUDET
Building: Uni Mail
Telephone: +41 (0)22 37 98708
Fax: +41 (0)22 37 98750
Office hours: Tuesday - Friday
10:00 am - 12:00 am / 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm