Applying for the MA in Multilingual Communication Technology
To study at the University of Geneva (UNIGE) and be admitted to the Faculty of Translation and Interpreting (FTI), you must:
- Fulfill UNIGE's requirements to enroll in an MA programme.
- Fulfill the FTI's admission conditions
What are the admission conditions?
Admission will be based on your application file. You must meet the following requirements:
You must hold a:
- BA in multilingual communication from the FTI
- BA in multilingual communication or translation from another university
- BA in communication
- BA in linguistics
- BA in computer science
- BA in humanities
- Another university diploma that is deemed to be equivalent
You must have completed at least two courses in:
- Language Engineering
- Translation technology
- or information and communications technology
You must have at least a C1 level in English under the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, and a B2 level in French.
Unlike the MA programmes in translation and conference interpreting, you don’t have to choose a language combination since you will not be required to take any translation classes.
Your application file
Your file will be reviewed by a committee in our Faculty. You will be informed of their decision no later than 20 June 2019.
Please also have a look at the general description page for this programme.
What do you have to do to apply?
Please note that
you may only be admitted to the FTI if:
* the FTI accepts your application file
* the University accepts your enrollment application
Applicants must therefore go through two different application processes. If you do not follow this procedure, you will not be able to study at UNIGE.
- How to apply to the FTI
Applying online to the FTI
- from 2 October 2018 to 28 February 2019 for applicants with nationalities that are required to have a visa for a stay of more than 90 days (irrespective of your current place of residence, unless you hold a Swiss residence permit that is valid past 30 April)
- from 2 October 2018 to 30 April 2019 for applicants who do not need a visa for a stay of more than 90 days
a) Begin by setting up your ORISIS account (you can use this login for the whole application process).
b) Using your ORISIS account, you can apply on the FTI's online platform. See the list of documents that you need to prepare and scan in order to apply.
(If you are already enrolled at UNIGE, please use the username and password that you created when first setting up your ORISIS account; it is likely linked to your private email address. If you are unable to access your account, please create a new one using your @etu.unige.ch address))
Once you have filled out the online application, you will receive an email confirming that your application is being reviewed by the committee.
- How to enroll at UNIGE
- from 2 January to 28 February 2019 for applicants with nationalities that are required to have a visa for a stay of more than 90 days (irrespective of your current place of residence, unless you hold a Swiss residence permit that is valid past 30 April)
- from 2 January to 30 April 2019 for applicants who do not need a visa for a stay of more than 90 days
Please note that you should send off your enrollment application even if you have not yet been informed off the FTI committee's decision.
If you have already been unenrolled, or will be unenrolled before the beginning of your first semester at the FTI, please request to be reenrolled before the deadline.
Being enrolled at the University means that the University has given a student permission to register in a faculty and take the courses, seminars and workshops necessary to obtain a university degree. You cannot study at the FTI without being enrolled.
The tuition fee is CHF 500 per semester of study for both Swiss and foreign students. There is also a fee of CHF 65 for your UNIGE enrollment application.
Information, admissions and registration.
Mme Marie-Laure Cudet
Building: Uni Mail
Telephone: +41 (0)22 37 98708
Fax: +41 (0)22 37 98750
Office hours: Tuesday - Friday
10:00 am - 12:00 am / 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm