Rules and Regulations
- Admissions to the Geneva Summer Schools is determined on the basis of the Admissions requirements.
- Language requirement: Applicants must possess a sufficient command of the language of instruction of the course, demonstrated in their motivation letter, studies and work experience.
- University experience: Applicants should be enrolled in a university level academic institution, or have completed university experience and have relevant work experience.
- Motivation: Applicants must express their interest in the course in a brief statement.
- CV: Applicants must include a CV/Resume with their online application.
Applications and Enrolment
- Geneva Summer Schools courses are selective and places are restricted.
- Applications are evaluated as they are received, course enrolment is done on a rolling basis and courses fill up from the date applications open (not only after the application deadline).
- Course applications can only be made through the online application tool. By submitting a course application, the applicant confirms having read and accepted these regulations.
- Course applications are evaluated by the Geneva Summer Schools Team and/or Faculty, who reserve the right to deny access to a course if the candidate does not satisfy the Admission Requirements.
- It is only upon reception of the full tuition payment that an applicant is considered formally enrolled and their place in the course is secured.
- Participants who need a Schengen visa to enter Switzerland, are urged to register online at Geneva Summer Schools until March 15 of the current year
Tuition Fees and Payment
- Tuition fees are as advertised on the website and can only be paid through the online payment method or bank transfer, in Swiss Francs (CHF).
- Tuition fees must be paid within the time frame determined by the Course Director and communicated in the Admissions Email, and no later than one month prior to the course start date. If payment is not made in due time, Geneva Summer Schools reserves the right to cancel the admission and attribute the place to another candidate.
- In the event of cancellation, by the Geneva Summer Schools or by the student, an administrative fee of CHF100 is withheld.
- University of Geneva students are ekligible for a special fee, as long as the course is not filled up.
- Each summer school will indicate the umber of credits or its equivalence in ECTS credits in its description.
- Geneva Summer Schools will not be held responsible if the credits cannot be validated at the home institution, as it is the participant's direct responsibility to secure this approval.
- Determination of ECTS credit equivalence is the responsibility of the Course Directors and is communicated on the website.
- University of Geneva students may only validate official ECTS credits in their academic BA/MA/PhD cursus at the University of Geneva.
Duties and Obligations to the Participant
- The participant shall comply with all the regulations applicable to the University of Geneva. The Geneva Summer Schools reserves the right to exclude any participant who fails to comply with these regulations.
- Geneva Summer Schools participants will not obtain the status of an official student at the University of Geneva.
Certificate of Attendance
- Participants will be provided with a Certificate of Completion of the course if they satisfy attendance and evaluation requirements. They may receive a Statement with their grade if an evaluation is conducted, but this document is not an official University of Geneva transcript and one will not be issued.
Cancellation by the Geneva Summer Schools
- The Geneva Summer Schools reserves the right to cancel a course for whatever reason. The cancellation will be communicated on the website and by email no later than 4 weeks prior to the start of the course.
- Tuition payment (excluding an administrative fee of CHF 100) will be refunded.
- Travel and accommodation fees will not be refunded by the Geneva Summer Schools and are the sole responsibility of the participants, who should keep this in mind when making travel and/or accommodation arrangements.
Cancellation by the Participant
- If a participant cancels his/her enrolment, interrupts the course or ends it prematurely, the costs are as follows:
- If the participant cancels more than 4 weeks before the start of the course, he/she will have to pay 50% of the full course fee, above and beyond the 100 CHF administrative fee.
- If the participant cancels within 4 weeks of the start of the course or during the course, he/she will not receive a refund.
Insurance & other costs
- Participants are responsible for their own insurances (civil liability, accident and health insurance) during their time at the Geneva Summer Schools.
- Participants shall assume all the costs associated with their participation to the Geneva Summer Schools (accommodation, travel, …).
Waiver of Responsibility
- The liability of the University of Geneva, whether in contract or in tort, under any warranty, is limited to gross negligence or willful misconduct of a collaborator of the University of Geneva within the scope of its official functions for the institution. All further liability, notably for indirect and consequential losses are excluded.
- Any disputes resulting between the participant and the Geneva Summer Schools that cannot be resolved amicably shall be resolved by the Courts of Geneva under the domestic Swiss Law.
Regulations revised: October 2017