How do i apply for the Geneva Summer Schools ?
Please fill in the online application form
How can I upload my documents ?
Before applying online, you need to prepare the following ahead: a valid web link (LinkedIn, Dropbox, Google Drive or other) to :
- your CV
- a cover letter (maximum of 500 words)
- a reference letter (professor, employer...etc)
Be careful not to provide a protected url (intranet weblink) but a public url.
When will I be informed of the status of my application?
Geneva Summer Schools applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, as they are received. We aim to respond to you within the earliest possible deadline. This means that a course may fill up before the application deadline. We encourage you to apply early to secure a place !
Can I apply to more than 1 course?
Yes, you can apply to multiple courses, especially if they are at different dates. You must complete an online application for each course. Please note that you will not be able to take more than one course at the same time, as the course workload is very intense.
Do I need a visa to participate in Geneva Summer Schools?
Depending on your nationality, you need a visa to travel to Switzerland. You may find information about the visa requirement on the website of the State Secretariat for Migration. All visa procedures remain in the participant's responsibility and must be arranged prior to arriving in Geneva.
What is the language of instruction?
Most of the courses are taught in English. Occasionally, some courses are taught in French.
Do I need a proof of English proficiency?
No, we don’t require any official language proficiency proof. However, the Course Director reserves the right to refuse a candidate if the necessary command of English is not guaranteed.
I am a high school student. Can I apply to GSS?
Only university degree-seeking students or graduates are eligible. Unfortunately, our summer schools are not open to high school students.
Payment and Enrolment
When do I have to pay the tuition?
The tuition must be paid within the time frame determined in the Admissions Email, usually within 30 calendar days, and no later than 3 days prior to the course start date. If payment is not made in due time, Geneva Summer Schools reserves the right to cancel the admission and attribute the place to another candidate.
When do I receive a confirmation of payment?
- If you pay by credit card:
- A confirmation of receipt will be sent to you by email within one week from the date of your payment
- If you pay by bank transfer:
- A confirmation of receipt will be sent to you by email within two to three weeks from the date of your payment
What is the Geneva Summer Schools cancellation policy ?
- The Geneva Summer Schools reserves the right to cancel a course for whatever reason. The cancellation will be communicated on the website and by email no later than 4 weeks prior to the start of the course.
- Tuition payment will be refunded.
- Travel and accommodation fees will not be refunded by the Geneva Summer Schools and are the sole responsibility of the participants, who should keep this in mind when making travel and/or accommodation arrangements.
For further information, please read thoroughly through our regulation.
Can I apply for a scholarship?
A limited number of scholarships are available for some courses. You can find more details on the page of your course of choice. Priority will be given to candidates from developping and low income countries.
I am a student at the Graduate Institute (Geneva). Do I get the same discount than a University of Geneva student?
Being a self-financed program, we cannot offer the same price for Graduate Institute students than for UNIGE students. Only students following a PhD, MA or BA program at UNIGE will get the UNIGE discount.
Does Geneva Summer Schools provide accommodation?
Geneva Summer Schools offers a limited number of rooms at the Cité universitaire upon payment. Furthermore, we can help facilitate your search for accommodation for your programme. We can provide you with a list of housing options and connect you with other admitted students also looking for accommodation.Please visit our accommodation page, where we have put together a long list of links offering affordable short-term housing options.
Will I receive credits for my summer school courses?
- Each course will indicate the ECTS equivalence in its description. Participants will be provided with an attestation of completion of the course (if they satisfy attendance) and with a transcript of records if ECTS credit points and/or a grade are needed. It is the participant’s responsibility to verify the validity of the course and validate it at their home university.
- Geneva Summer Schools will not be held responsible if the credits cannot be transferred at the home institution, as it is the participant's direct responsibility to secure this approval. Please see our Regulations for more information.
Is Geneva Summer Schools connected to the University of Geneva?
- Yes, the Geneva Summer Schools is part of the University of Geneva (UNIGE). They are directed by the International Relations and Partnerships Office in relation with various Departments of the University. Please note that the majority of the Geneva Summer Schools courses are not part of the degree-seeking study programmes, and you will not receive an official UNIGE transcript.
Who are the Geneva Summer School faculty?
Geneva Summer Schools faculty are professors from the University of Geneva and international institutions, as well as invited professors from prestigious universities around the world.
I am a professor and I would like to teach in a summer school. Who should I contact?
We welcome proposals for new courses through the Geneva Summer Schools ! If you have an idea for a summer course, or for a collaborative course with the University ofGeneva, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org