How the IO-MBA changed my life
By Melissa (Daeun) Baek, IO-MBA (2018-2019 participant)
Life is full of many small surprises and a few very big ones! My IO-MBA experience is proving to be one of the biggest and best. Ever since I was young, I have dreamed of being part of an international organization where I can work with people from many cultures for a better world. Since starting the IO-MBA program at the University of Geneva, my childhood ambition is now closer than ever to becoming a reality. Before arriving here, I was a highly trained Chartered Accountant with experience in auditing all five of Canada’s largest banks. But I imagined myself becoming something more -- an international public servant. The IO-MBA program is the bridge to the next phase of this personal vision, where I develop into a young leader on the global stage, making the most of my past work experience and this latest chapter in my education.
So much here in Geneva is helping prepare me for this new and exciting role. To name just a few highlights: My first exciting week of classes at the Palais des Nations, visiting UN agencies and other international organizations, being inspired by professors dedicated to IO careers, and networking with kindred spirits among the alumni and the classmates – all committed to working for the common good. Thanks to the IO-MBA program, I will be starting my work for the United Nations soon. My dream is coming true in a life-changing way, one big stepping stone at a time.
The IO-MBA offers a multidisciplinary curriculum taught by an international faculty from leading universities around the world and practitioners from IOs and NGOs. The coursework explores contemporary management tools and techniques and connects theory with practice in the context of international organizations. A future-focused curriculum combining management and sustainability prepares graduates to “bridge the gap” between private sector, public sector, and social purpose organizations. Through a vibrant and active IO-MBA Alumni Association, participants have access to a network of alumni working in diverse sectors in international development, including business, government, NGOs, and social enterprise.
At IO-MBA, located in the heart of global Geneva, close to the United Nations and other prestigious international organizations, the city is the classroom. Field trips, guest speakers, and special events connect participants to organizations for a hands-on experience.
- Why choose IOMBA? Are you a professional working for – or aspiring to work for – IOs, NGOs, nonprofits, or social enterprise? IO-MBA provides you with perspectives from these different worlds and hands-on experience from practitioners and faculty for a true cross-sector experience.
- How is IO-MBA different from a standard MBA? If you want to develop universal management and organizational skills, but value social and not-for-profit missions and international collaboration, then IO-MBA is right for you. The IO-MBA experience extends beyond the classroom to connect the newest research and insights with current on-the-ground challenges.
- IOMBA’s career services programming includes small group workshops and individual consultations; our personalized approach connects participants with the networks and resources they need for career growth.
- Achieving the SDGs is a matter of management. At IOMBA, we build sustainable bridges to achieve the SDGs and teach how to lead change for a sustainable future. Join IOMBA and become such a change agent!
- The future talents will be “Cross-Sector Experts”: leaders who master business management tools combined with a deep understanding of the context of international organizations and NGOS. Join IOMBA and become such a leader!