Registration to the Master of Science in Global Health
Informations concerning the Master of Science in Global Health
You can visit the following page for more information :
Registration period for the academic period 2020-2021 is now closed. The registration period for 2021-2022 will open from January 4th, 2021, to February 28th, 2021..
Candidates must register their candidacy with the Global Studies Institute by filling out the online form and matriculate with the University of Geneva Admissions office within the same registration period, in order for the candidacy to be eligible.
The registration will only be taken into consideration if the student fills the registration conditions of the University of Geneva. Students will have to register with the university between the 2nd of January 2020 and 28th February 2020. Please check specific conditions on: http://www.unige.ch/admissions/sinscrire/immatenglish/
Students of the University of Geneva already enrolled in the University of Geneva, are exempted from the enrolment part of the procedure (since they are already enrolled/matriculated).
Regarding the Master of Science in Global Health, all students must be proficient in English. If your mother tongue is English or have successfully followed at least one year of secondary or tertiary (University level) education in English, please provide an academic document as proof of proficiency. All other applicants must provide one of the following accepted certificates, with at least one of the following levels of proficiency equivalent to C1 in the European Framework:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): Internet-test 100, Paper-test 600, Computer-based test 250
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 7.0
- Certificate of Proficiency in English of the University of Cambridge (CPE): A-B-C
- Cambridge Advanced English (CAE): A-B
Documents for the registration :
- The Admissions form to the Master of Science in Global Health completed and signed.
- A motivation letter
- University diplomas (Bachelor, Master, Licence, diplomas…)
- 1 Curriculum Vitae
- A detailed official transcript of grades (University)
- 1 proof of a high level in English
- Two signed letters of recommendations from university professors* or signed professional letters of recommendations
* The students of the Bachelor programs in International Relations (BARI) are exempted from providing the 2 reference letters from the University of Geneva teachers.
FAQ Master in Global Health Candidacies-Applicants
What length and style should the motivation letter and letters of recommendation adopt ?
- There is no standard length or style these letters should adopt.
- For the letter of motivation, we can only recommend, you express in which way this master’s program in Global Health, integrates itself in your academic and professional career. Why you’re interested and wish to work in this field. If pertinent, how Global Health plays, has played, or will play a role in your life and work. Try to keep it reasonable in terms of length but do feel free to express yourself.
- For the recommendation letters, European (short, to the point), Anglo-Saxon (lengthy elaborating all your references experience with you) and any other style is accepted. We will be more interested in recommendation letters that underline, real experience with the candidate, rather than standardized letters, that enumerate lists of things that are already underlined in the CV or motivation letter. But any style will do, and we will base our decision on the entire candidacy submission.
Are the semester fees of CHF 500 for all students, Swiss and International?
- Yes, it is the same fee per semester for all Swiss and all international students.
Are there other costs associated with the program?
- No, there are no other costs directly associated with the program.
What is the estimated cost of living for a student in Geneva?
- We highly recommend planning for at least CHF 1,500-2,000 per month. Switzerland is expensive, and Geneva is also expensive especially for rent, even if you can try to find solutions such as co-renting to lower the costs.
Are there any scholarships for the program?
- We don’t have scholarships directly linked to the program.
- You may wish to check out the university database (French only): https://www.unige.ch/rectorat/pbs/
And the University’s website listing private scholarships: https://www.unige.ch/dife/sante-social/aides-financieres/bourses/fonds-prives how do my references send in their letters of recommendation?
- You submit them as scanned documents in the candidacy form. If your references do not wish to share this document with you and send it in directly. Please send it to the program student counsellor (email@example.com).
Is my degree recognized?
- Candidacies from all degrees of a bachelor level and above recognized by the University of Geneva are accepted. More details on UNIGE recognized institutions can be found here (French only).
- As an interdisciplinary program, we accept candidacies from all fields (health care, social-sciences, political-sciences, philosophy, engineering, and so on).
I am currently finishing a degree, can I still submit my candidacy before I have the diploma?
- Yes, you may submit your candidacy before having obtained your bachelor’s degree. Your candidacy may be accepted conditionally. If accepted, you will need to complete the process by sending in your diploma and final transcript before the Master program starts.
Why do I have to fill out more than one application form?
- As mentioned in the submissions page there are three steps to submit your candidacy.
- The admissions form to the Master of Science in Global Health, serves as checklist and can be downloaded on the first page and here before you begin the process.
- The online candidacy form transmits your candidacy to the Master program evaluation committee.
- The registration with the University of Geneva is required by the University for your candidacy to be valid and is a separate process from the candidacy submission form. It must also be done and the CHF 65 paid (for all non-Swiss university candidates), in order for your candidacy to be accepted. http://www.unige.ch/admissions/sinscrire/immatenglish/
- The following links are found on the candidacy submission front-page
I have already completed my higher education in English for more than one year; do I still have to provide an English proficiency certificate?
- No, that is sufficient; you do not need to submit an English proficiency certificate. Simply send in proof of the year (or more) spent in an English higher education setting.
I don’t have an English proficiency certificate and won’t be able to submit it before the deadline, what can I do?
- Should you be accepted into the program, provide a letter stating your intention to submit the proficiency certificate before the start of classes.
How long should the motivational letter be?
- Although there is no page limit, typically a page to page and half is sufficient. Concisely explain how the program integrates into your current achievements and overall professional development.
How can submit my candidacy to the shorter, three semester version of the program?
- This Master degree requires 120 ECTs in total.
- However in exceptional cases, depending on the proximity of your previous Master curricula to what you may do for your third/focus area semester, we may be able to recognize some or all credits, required for this semester. Certain MD or Master degrees may be recognized and 30 ECTs (one semester) maybe issued towards the Master of Global Health. This is not an option for those interested in applying for the dual master program.
When can we expect to have an official decision for the application?
- Typically between March and April. However, it depends on the number of applicants each year.
Is this a full-time program, can I work on the side?
- Yes, this is a full-time program and working on the side is not recommended.
- Some courses are mandatory and many parts of the program require team collaborations for projects.
- The only option if you are already working in Switzerland is to stretch the first two semesters over four semesters. Completing the two blocks of 30 ECTS credits (60 in total) over two years. But this still leaves the 30 ECTS of the focus area semester to be completed as a block, as well as the three to six-month internship and thesis to be completed in that last year. The Master in Global Health cannot be prolonged more than two extra semesters (six in total).
- If you require a student visa, you cannot work during the firs six months of your stay in Switzerland and subsequently can work a maximum of 15 hours a week, with this permit. Please see this page (French) for further information.
Where can I find the course listings and descriptions for the first two semesters? (the third semester courses are selected by the student depending on his/her interest focus area?
- Please find the complete current course descriptions for the program with this link: http://wadme.unige.ch:3149/pls/opprg/w_rech_cours.debut you will need to follow the following links to find the course descriptions for the first two semesters:
[Recherche par Faculté, école, institut]then[Global Studies Institute (GSI)]and finally[Etudes en : Master of Science in Global Health -> Rechercher]
What type of internships will the program offer?
- There are is no specific internship positions offered directly by the program. However, the opportunity to network with multiple organizations is a major part of the program structure. Typically, students in the previous cohorts have interned with WHO, Global Fund, GAVI, FIND, Swiss TPH, The Agha Khan Foundation, MSF, HUG, and other organizations and research labs.
How can I apply for the dual Master program with the Graduate institute?
- Candidates for the dual Master program with the Graduate Institute must first be accepted either in the Global Health Master program of the UNIGE, or the International Affairs/Development studies of the Graduate Institute. The candidates to the dual Master will then submit their request for this dual program to their initial host institution during their first year of study. http://graduateinstitute.ch/fr/home/study/programmes-conjoints-bama/Dual-Master-in-Global-Health.html
If I am accepted where can I find student lodgings?
- Please check the UNIGE dorm website here and find other student lodgings here. It is up to students to take dispositions for their lodgings.
- For all questions pertaining to matriculation, please contact the admissions office directly.
- Candidates who finish their studies after the indicated dates, fill their registration under reserve of completion of their qualifying diploma.
- Documents that weren’t written in French, German, Italian or English will be accompanied by an official translation.
- Candidates to more than one program, submit their candidacy to each one separately.
(Master in Global Health Student Counsellor)
T +41 22 379 01 86
Institut de Santé Globale de l’Université de Genève
Campus Biotech – Chemin des Mines 9
1202 Genève 20
- Reception by appointement