Dr Ruth MULLETT
Chargée d'enseignement suppléante
+41 22 379 70 32
Additional Information / Informations Supplémentaires
Research Interests / Recherches
Ruth Mullett holds degrees from the University of St Andrews, Oxford University, and Cornell University. In August 2017, she defended her PhD dissertation, Putting on the Armor of God: Defensive Reading in England, c. 1250-1550, at Cornell. Broadly speaking, Ruth is interested in how medieval literary history moves through a conversation with the cultural past. Her research and teaching interests include Middle English literature, book history, paleography and codicology, the cultural history of the senses, and digital humanities (especially manuscript imaging and digital cataloging techniques).
Mullett, Ruth, ‘In situ manuscript fragments in the incunables of the Bodleian Library, Oxford’, Digital Fragmentology, 1, forthcoming late 2018.
Mullett, Ruth, and Palmer, Nigel F., In-depth scholarly descriptions of in situ manuscript fragments found in the incunables of the Bodleian Library, Oxford (2017–).
- Old French Bible (Bible française du XIIIe siècle) (fragment), Oxford, Bodleian Library, 4o I 1 Th. Seld., front endleaves, (https://fragmentarium.ms/overview/F-iogq).
- Corpus juris civilis: Institutiones Justiniani, with gloss (fragment), Oxford, Bodleian Library, A 1.11 Art. Seld., (https://fragmentarium.ms/overview/F-bbyp).
- Corpus juris canonici: Liber Sextus, with gloss (fragment), Oxford, Bodleian Library, A 2.8 Art. Seld., (https://fragmentarium.ms/overview/F-6et3).
- Medical treatise ‘Notandum opera mirabilia que fecit altissimus’ (fragment), Oxford, Bodleian Library, Arch. G e.5, (https://fragmentarium.ms/overview/F-owzq).
- Office lectionary (fragment), Oxford, Bodleian Library, Arch. G e.5, (https://fragmentarium.ms/overview/F-mltm).
- Collectio generalis Fratrum Minorum (fragment), Oxford, Bodleian Library, Ashm. 463, (https://fragmentarium.ms/overview/F-ar6c).
- Provisions for memorial masses on behalf of Peter Bock (fragment), Oxford, Bodleian Library, Auct. 1Q 6.27, Pastedowns, (https://fragmentarium.ms/overview/F-5mvk).
- Corpus juris canonici: Liber Sextus (fragment), Oxford, Bodleian Library, Auct. 2Q 5.19, (https://fragmentarium.ms/overview/F-8f03).
Smieska, Louisa. M., Mullett, Ruth, et al. ‘Trace elements in natural azurite pigments found in illuminated manuscript leaves investigated by synchrotron x-ray florescence and diffraction mapping’, Applied Physics A, June 2017, 123:484, (https://doi.org/10.1007/s00339-017-1093-0).
Mullett, Ruth, ‘Guide to Medieval Manuscript Fragments and Objects, ca. 800 – 1600,’ Cornell University Library Website, June 2014, (http://rmc.library.cornell.edu/EAD/htmldocs/RMM06532.html).
‘Where from, where to? The future of the Bodleian cataloguing project of in situ fragments in incunabula,’ Fragmentarium Annual Meeting, St Gall, (September 2017).
‘Cataloguing in situ manuscript fragments in incunabula,’ Leeds International Medieval Congress, Leeds University, July 2017.
Presenter and Roundtable Participant, ‘Digital Pedagogy: Using Omeka in Freshman Writing Seminars,’ Digital Spaces: A Humanities Symposium, Cornell University Library, May 2017 (invited).
‘Digital Humanities at Cornell and Beyond,’ Medieval Studies Pro-seminar (postgraduate seminar), Cornell University, Nov. 2016 (invited).
‘Challenging Expectations: Displaying Medieval Manuscripts in Museums,’ Context and Meaning XV: Sensing Matter(s), Queen’s University, Canada, Jan. 2016.
Presenter and Roundtable Participant, ‘Medieval Meets Digital: the Manuscriptlink Project and the Cornell Manuscripts,’ Carl A. Kroch Library, Cornell University, Oct. 2014 (invited).
‘The absent body in Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Bodley Rolls 16,’ Gender, Generation, and the Body, Cardiff University, UK, June 2014.
‘Spicing the Soul: internalizing gustatory sensation within the anchorhold,’ Sensing the Sacred, York University, UK, June 2013.
‘Wardens of the Heart's Nose: guarding the olfactory gates in Ancrene Wisse,’ Kalamazoo International Medieval Congress, Northwestern University, May 2013.