Head of Clinic, Department of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine FMH in General Internal Medicine - AFC in Medical Hypnosis - Spec. Psychosomatic and Psychosocial Medicine
022 379 59 36
Teaching in the Bachelor and Master years (CMA of General Internal Medicine, "Communicating in the Clinical Environment" programme)
Coordinator and teacher in the "Teaching Skills" programme
Trainer in UDREM's teacher training programme "Basic teacher training" and "Advanced training workshops" and in the training programme for supervisors of the Institute of Primary Care Medicine (IMPR)
Clinical hypnosis referent in the Internal Medicine Department and certified supervisor in SMSH-ShypS hypnosis; lecturer in the Hypnosis Programme of the HUG (PHH), module "Training in Therapeutic Communication".
Conducts research projects in general internal medicine, medical education, and clinical hypnosis.
Matteo Coen obtained a doctorate in medicine and then specialised in vascular surgery (University of Ferrara, Italy). Interested in biomedical research, he arrives in Geneva where he obtains a Doctorate in Medical Sciences ("MD-PhD") at the Faculty of Medicine.
He then joined the Service de Médecine Interne Générale (SMIG) of the University Hospitals of Geneva and specialised in internal medicine (FMH in General Internal Medicine).
His interest in healthcare communication led him to specialise in Psychosomatic and Psychosocial Medicine and to train in medical hypnosis.
Passionate about teaching, he obtained the "Essential Skills in Medical Education (ESME)" certification from the International Association for Medical Education (AMEE); in order to further develop his skills in the field of medical pedagogy, he is currently following the CAS of trainer in the field of health sciences at the Universities of Geneva and Fribourg.
He is head of a clinic at the SMIG and a faculty member of the Medical Education Development and Research Unit (UDREM) of the Faculty of Medicine where he participates in various teaching and research projects.
- Lolachi S, Morin S, Coen M, Samii K, Calmy A, Serratrice J. Macrophage activation syndrome as an unusual presentation of paucisymptomatic severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 infection: A case report. Medicine (Baltimore). 2020;99(32):e21570. doi:10.1097/MD.0000000000021570
- Foulex A, Coen M, Cherkaoui A, Lazarevic V, Gaia N, Leo S, et al. Listeria monocytogenes infectious periaortitis: a case report from the infectious disease standpoint. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2019;19(1):326. doi:10.1186/s12879-019-3953-z
- Coen M, Bendjelid K. The Reply. American Journal of Medicine. 2019;132(5):e567. doi:10.1016/j.amjmed.2019.01.005
- Coen M, Leuchter I, Sussetto M, Banfi C, Giraud R, Bendjelid K. Progressive dysphonia. American Journal of Medicine. 2018;. doi:10.1016/j.amjmed.2018.08.004
- Rizzo S, Coen M, Sakic A, De Gaspari M, Thiene G, Gabbiani G, et al. Sudden coronary death in the young: Evidence of contractile phenotype of smooth muscle cells in the culprit atherosclerotic plaque. International Journal of Cardiology. 2018;264:1-6. doi:10.1016/j.ijcard.2018.02.096
- Coen M, Serratrice J. Leukemia Cutis: An Atypical Case. American Journal of Medicine. 2016;129(12):e341-e342. doi:10.1016/j.amjmed.2016.08.004
- Marchetti G, Girelli D, Zerbinati C, Lunghi B, Friso S, Meneghetti S, et al. An integrated genomic-transcriptomic approach supports a role for the proto-oncogene BCL3 in atherosclerosis. Thrombosis and Haemostasis. 2015;113(3):655-663. doi:10.1160/TH14-05-0466
- Carbone F, Vuilleumier N, Bertolotto M, Burger F, Galan K, Roversi G, et al. Treatment with recombinant tissue plasminogen activator (r-TPA) induces neutrophil degranulation in vitro via defined pathways. Vascular Pharmacology. 2015;64(41):16-27. doi:10.1016/j.vph.2014.11.007
- Frismantiene A, Pfaff D, Frachet A, Coen M, Joshi MB, Maslova K, et al. Regulation of contractile signaling and matrix remodeling by T-cadherin in vascular smooth muscle cells: constitutive and insulin-dependent effects. Cellular Signalling. 2014;26(9):1897-908. doi:10.1016/j.cellsig.2014.05.001
- Chaabane C, Coen M, Bochaton-Piallat M-L. Smooth muscle cell phenotypic switch: implications for foam cell formation. Current Opinion in Lipidology. 2014;25(5):374-9. doi:10.1097/MOL.0000000000000113
- Coen M, Menegatti E, Salvi F, Mascoli F, Zamboni P, Gabbiani G, et al. Altered collagen expression in jugular veins in multiple sclerosis. Cardiovascular Pathology. 2013;22(1):33-38. doi:10.1016/j.carpath.2012.05.005
- Coen M, Marchetti G, Palagi PM, Zerbinati C, Guastella G, Gagliano T, et al. Calmodulin expression distinguishes the smooth muscle cell population of human carotid plaque. American Journal of Pathology. 2013;183(3):996-1009. doi:10.1016/j.ajpath.2013.06.006
- Coen M, Burkhardt K, Bijlenga PAP, Gabbiani G, Schaller KL, Kovari EV, et al. Smooth muscle cells of human intracranial aneurysms assume phenotypic features similar to those of the atherosclerotic plaque. Cardiovascular Pathology. 2013;22(5):339-44. doi:10.1016/j.carpath.2013.01.083
- Coen M. Human arterial smooth muscle cell heterogeneity: implications for atherosclerosis and restenosis [Thèse]. 2013. doi:10.13097/archive-ouverte/unige:32014
- Coen M, Gabbiani G, Bochaton-Piallat M-L. Myofibroblast-mediated adventitial remodeling: an underestimated player in arterial pathology. Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology. 2011;31(11):2391-6. doi:10.1161/ATVBAHA.111.231548