Public High Level Panel
10th of October, 18h00 - 20h30
Location: Uni Bastions, B 106
Global Governance for Migrants and Refugees: Advances and Challenges
For the first time since its existence, the General Assembly of the United Nations has on September 19th hosted a summit at the Heads of State and Government level on large movements of refugees and migrants. This meeting has been announced as a historic opportunity to come up with a blueprint for a better, more humane and coordinated international response. Three weeks after this event, we gather in Geneva high representatives of the main International Organizations associated with these processes in order to discuss how far the Summit has met its target to strengthen governance of international migration and create a more responsible, predictable system for responding to large movements of refugees and migrants.
- Ellen Hansen, UNHCR, Senior Policy Adviser on Protection
- Michelle Leighton, ILO, Chief of the Labour Migration Branch
- Michele Klein-Solomon, IOM, Senior Policy Adviser to the Director General
- Pia Oberoi, OHCHR, Advisor on Migration and Human Rights at the UN Office for the High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Alain Scriban, European Commission, Principal Advisor to the Director General on Migration and Home Affairs
- Hugo Slim, ICRC, Head of Policy
Moderator: Jeff Crisp, University of Oxford.
20h30 Reception, light dinner for invited participants at Uni Bastions