Effective Energy Saving Potential of Building Retrofit
Performance gap, building retrofit, benchmarking, cost assessment, energy efficiency solutions
Cadre du projet
Swiss Competence Center for Energy Research on Future Energy Efficient Buildings & Districts (SCCER FEEB&D), WP4, Task 4.3.1
Jad Khoury, Pierre Hollmuller
Responsable du projet
The vision of the Swiss Competence Center for Energy Research on Future Energy Efficient Buildings & Districts (SCCER FEEB&D) is to develop solutions for the Swiss building stock which will lead to a reduction of the environmental footprint of the sector by a factor of three by 2035.
Given the slow transformation of the building stock, particular emphasis should be placed on improving the quantity and quality of building energy retrofits. However, current research indicates a serious performance gap between theoretical and actual energy savings in real-life condition of execution, operation and use. The objectives of this task are:
- to analyze and characterize the energy performance gap in building retrofit, based on a representative set of case studies;
- to assess its potential impact on the energy saving potential of the existing building stock;
- to examine the determinant factors behind this gap and to quantify their relative importance via sensitivity analysis;
- to explore how to bridge the performance gap and to derive recommendations for best practice in building retrofit;
- to improve the ex-ante assessment of energy saving and to assess the real costs of the implemented energy efficiency solutions (building envelope and technical system).
- Highlight 1: Characterization of the performance gap in building retrofit
- Highlight 2: Reasons behind the performance gap
- Highlight 3: Potential impact on the Energy Strategy 2050 (for Geneva)
- Highlight 4: Bridging the Performance Gap in building retrofit
This work is related to the SFOE project “Compare-Renove”, and is developed in relation with our industrial partners and other building stakeholders.
Khoury, J., Hollmuller, P. (2017). Deliverable Report D70 on (i) performance gap in building retrofits and benchmarking of best practice vs. current practice; (ii) cost assessment of diverse energy efficiency solutions in building retrofit. Swiss Competence Center for Energy Research. January 2017, Geneva.
Khoury, J., Alameddine, Z., Hollmuller, P. (2016). Energy performance gap in building retrofits and potential impact on the ES 2050 Objectives. Presentation in : Final Meeting Phase I - SCCER Future Energy Efficient Buildings & Districts. October 2016, Empa, Duebendorf.
Khoury J., Hollmuller P., Lachal B. (2016). Energy performance gap in building retrofit: characterization and effect on the energy saving potential. In: 19. Status-Seminar «Forschen für den Bau im Kontext von Energie und Umwelt». Zurich, 8-9 September 2016.
Khoury J., Hollmuller P. (2016). Performance gap in building retrofit. In: Fact Sheets, Swiss Energy Research Conference 2016, Swiss Federal Office of Energy SFOE. Lucerne, April 2016.
Khoury, J. (2016). Assessment of Geneva multi-family building stock: main characteristics and regression models for energy reference area determination. Technical report. SCCER FEEB&D, Geneva
Debut: January 2014
Fin: December 2016