Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
General questions about the course
- Is the workshop free?
- Is the course licensed?
- What are the pre-requisites on my computer for this workshop?
- Is there an official mailing list for this workshop?
- Do I need to follow the workshop in a specific order (e.g. chapter 1 -> chapter 2 -> ... ->)?
- How can I configure my keyboard on the virtual machine?
- When processing data from the QGIS WPS client is it possible to apply an automatic rendering?
Answers to general questions
- This workshop and all related material (lectures, software, plugins, test data) is free of charge.
- This course is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported Licence. To view a copy of this license click here.
- Pre-requisites for this workshop include: Operating system: Windows or MacOS or Linux ; Memory (RAM): minimum 4 GB ; Disk space: minimum 20 GB
- There is no official mailing list for this workshop but there are official mailing lists for each software and technology used, e.g. GeoServer, OpenLayers, GeoNetwork, PyWPS etc.
- There is a logical order for this workshop, therefore we recommend to start with the course for beginners and to continue with the advanced course. In this course do chapter N before chapter N+1. For example the exercises of chapter 8 use the outputs of exercise 5.
Answers to technical questions
- To configure the keyboard (e.g. to QWERTZ) you need to proceed as follows. Select Application Menu (the blue button on top left of the virtual machine) then select Settings and Settings Manager. Click on the Keyboard icon. Go to the Layout tab and click on the Add button. Select appropriate Layout (e.g. German Switzerland) and Variant (e.g. French Switzerland).
Another option for configuring the keyboard (e.g. to French) is to use the Command Line. From Applications Menu select Accessories then Terminal Emulator and enter setxkbmap fr
- It is possible to show labels (GRASS function v.label) but not to apply a color ramp or a style based on categories