INNOGAP - Proof-of-Principle Fund
WHAT IS INNOGAP ?
Unitec created the INNOGAP proof-of-principle fund to help researchers at UNIGE and HUG to move their research discoveries toward practical implementation. The INNOGAP fund increases the value of their inventions, improves the chances of realizing societal benefits of research and enhance UNIGE's and HUG's ability to license them to existing or newly created companies.
Every year, Unitec distributes up to 5 INNOGAP grants of up to 30'000CHF each to UNIGE and HUG innovators to help them finance proof-of-principle or prototyping projects.
The INNOGAP fund stems on the one side from UNIGE licensing revenues and on the other side by a yearly input from HUG. Thus, INNOGAP grants are a solidarity contribution to boost creativity and innovation within our institutions.
WHICH PROJECTS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR INNOGAP GRANTS?
- building prototypes or demonstrators
- proof-of-principle studies
Collaborative projects within UNIGE or with other Geneva institutions (HES, HUG) are particularly encouraged.
- The project is linked to an active Unitec technology commercialization case (an invention disclosure has been filed and accepted by Unitec).
- The technology is not sufficiently developed for commercialization.
- The grant would, in principle, allow substantial progress towards commercialization.
- Innovator's lab cannot have previously benefited from a INNOGAP grant linked to the same technology.
CONDITIONS OF USE OF THE FUNDS
- The innovator provides to Unitec a report detailing the results obtained and the use of the grant within one year after receipt.
- If the grant has not been used within one year, it has to be returned to Unitec.
- The funds must be transferred to the beneficiary within 3 months from receipt of the grant letter.
HOW TO APPLY
***NEXT DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION : Wednesday 11 October 2017 ***
If the innovator has not yet announced the corresponding invention/technology to Unitec, he/she may submit an invention disclosure together with the INNOGAP application form.
Please note that, in that case, Unitec reserve its rights, regarding the complexity of the evaluation of the new invention declared, to postpone this application till the next round INNOGAP, if necessary.
Unitec will review applications to ensure that they fall within the scope of the INNOGAP fund.
If the project falls within the scope of the INNOGAP fund, it will be transmitted - under confidentiality - to the members of the Unitec board.
The Unitec board will decide based on merit and need which projects should be funded.
If you have any questions, please contact your Unitec case manager.
The INNOGAP fund is managed by Matthias Kuhn.