I am an associate professor in the numerical analysis group at the mathematics department of the university of Geneva. Prior to joining the university of Geneva, I was an instructor of mathematics at Princeton University from September 2012 to January 2015. Before that, I was a post doc at EPF Lausanne and ETH Zurich. I obtained my PhD at KU Leuven in December 2010.
In 2011, I was awarded the Alston S. Householder award for my PhD thesis. For my research on Riemannian optimization for low-rank matrix equations, I received a Leslie Fox Prize in 2011 and a SIAM Outstanding Paper prize in 2012.
My research is on large-scale and high-dimensional problems that are solved numerically using low-rank matrix and tensor techniques. Examples of such problems are the electronic Schrödinger equation, parametric partial differential equations, and low-rank matrix completion. I tend to focus on practical algorithms that can be formulated on Riemannian matrix manifolds and use techniques from numerical linear algebra and numerical optimization. My other research interests include nonlinear eigenvalue problems, machine learning, and multilevel preconditioning.
If you are interested in doing a Master thesis or a PhD in numerical analysis or numerical linear algebra, please send me an email.
Together with Martin Gander and Gilles Vilmart, I organize the Numerical Analysis seminar. Contact me if you are interested
- 13 - 16 February 2018: Yuji Nakatsukasa is visiting.and speaking in our seminar
- 9 - 13 October 2017: Valentin Khrulkov is visiting.
- 2 - 5 May 2017: Karl Meerbergen is visiting and speaking in our seminar
Conferences and workshops
- 4 - 8 May 2018: SIAM Conference on Applied Linear Algebra in Hong-Kong.
- 22 - 28 Apr 2018: Nonlinear Data: Theory and Algorithms in Oberwolfach.
- 19 - 23 March 2018: 89th GAMM Annual Meeting in Munich.
- 11 - 15 Sep 2017: International Conference on Scientific Computation and Differential Equations in Bath.
- 13 - 15 Jul 2017: Workshop of Foundations of Computational Mathematics in Barcelona.
- 24 - 28 Jul 2017: Conference of the International Linear Algebra Society in Iowa.
- 18 - 23 Jun 2017: Householder Symposium XX on Numerical Linear Algebra in Virginia.