SEMP - Swiss European Mobility Programmes, ex-Erasmus, were put in place to ensure the continuation of exchanges with European universities since Switzerland's exclusion from the Erasmus+ programme in February 2014.
The 665 SEMP agreements signed between 2014 and 2020, valid until the end of September 2021, can be automatically extended by one year due to the delay at the European level in the implementation of the digital platform Erasmus Without Paper (EWP). However, we have chosen to extend the agreements that have presented an exchange in the last years for the whole duration of the new Erasmus call, until 2027/2028.
A SEMP agreement is required for:
student exchanges (at Bachelor's, Master's and Doctorate level) for a period of 3 to 12 months
short-term teaching staff exchanges (3-4 days, min. 8 hours of teaching)
SEMP does not cover research-related activities or any activities in non-EU countries (with the exception of Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Serbia, Turkey and Macedonia).
SEMP agreement funding:
The signing of a SEMP agreement entitles to mobility grants for both incoming and outgoing students.
Who signs SEMP agreements?
Appointed by the Rector, the Academic Exchange Office is authorised to sign agreements. Agreements signed by other members of UNIGE cannot be taken into account and cannot be funded.
How to proceed?
Contact Daniela Sauge. Have the following information ready:
- Name of the administrative coordinator abroad (generally corresponds to the ERASMUS coordinator at the Academic Exchange Office, or at central administration or faculty level for larger universities).
- Name of academic coordinator abroad (generally a teaching colleague)
- Subject area
- Number of student exchanges, intended total duration, in semesters (generally one or two students for one semester each)
- Teacher exchanges possible? (maximum one week)
- ERASMUS partner university code (such as CH GENEVE01 or XX YYYYYYZZ, X=country, Y=city, Z=institution number)
- Academic calendar of partner university
- List of courses available to exchange students at UNIGE and the partner institution
The signing of an agreement is subject to the approval of the host department or faculty.
The list of our SEMP agreements can be found in the Database of Exchange Opportunities.
The flow of students and teachers is managed by the mobility team of the Academic Exchange Office.