CAS Digital Learning in Emergencies
Scholarships are available; when applying to the program, mention the fact that you need a scholarship in your cover letter. Scholarship criteria
In order to be informed of the latest news regarding our training in the field of education in emergency situations, you can fill out this form
- Develop knowledge about emergency contexts and the educational issues related to them
- Develop knowledge of different pedagogical tools that allow for the distancing of teaching
- Develop skills in program design
- Develop skills in digital literacy
- Critically analyze distance learning projects
- Develop skills in Open Education training design
- Develop cross-disciplinary digital skills
- Distance education in Higher education in emergencies contexts: experiences and lessons learned (Intro)
- Course Design and Development in Distance Education
- Foundations in Digital Literacy (special topics)
- Open Education in emergencies contexts: comparative and international perspective.
Prof. Abdeljalil AKKARI, Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences, University of Geneva
This introductory module is intended to familiarize students with distance education in emergency contexts. Different presentations will allow students to learn about different projects developed in this field, to analyze them and to understand their contributions. Through the teaching of the module, students will be able to analyze the development of distance education projects in emergency situations.
This module aims to develop skills necessary to analyse and assess context-specific needs so as to define educational program goals and learning outcomes, select appropriate delivery approaches and methods, and design instruction and learning interactions for distance education. An immersive and project-based approach aims to introduce participants to various distance learning tools, digital environments and standards, and relevant evaluation instruments, as they gain a first-hand perspective while working on selected distance learning projects.
This module aims to develop skills necessary for the design and development of distance learning projects through the use of tools, methods, and practices specific to distance education. The focus will be on introducing working with platform-independent or versatile alternative technologies for unstable connectivity contexts. Practical work will help participants explore low-speed or unreliable connectivity, high autonomy content production and delivery through HTML basics and the co-construction of open resources.
Open Education (OE) represents a paradigm shift in the sense of opening education up in terms of access and epistemic knowledge. Within this module, participants will learn about OE policy, OE as a commons, a theoretical framework on resources and will apply OE practices. Not only will they learn how to create, share and reuse OE Resources and software or design OE certification in the form of Open badges but they will also learn to design learning activities and evaluation with embedded OE values - empowering learners as responsible citizens and leave space for their agency.
- Abdeljalil Akkari, Professeur en dimensions internationales de l’éducation, (FPSE, SSED, UniGE)
Academic staff of UniGE
- Karl Blanchet, Professeur (directeur du Centre d’études humanitaires Genève, Faculté de Médecine, UniGE). François Grey, Professeur (Directeur du SDG Lab, Responsable de la Geneva Tsinghua Initiative, UniGE)
- Dr Kalliopi Benetos, chargée d’enseignement dans le domaine des technologies éducatives (FPSE, TECFA, UNIGE)
- Dr Myriam Radhouane, coordinatrice du CAS (FPSE, SSED, UniGE)
External experts in the field of education and teaching in emergencies
- Arlo Kitchingman, Learning Solutions Specialist (EiE focal point), Humanitarian Leadership Academy, (Save the Children, UK)
- Kate Moriarty, Senior Advisor, Strategic Engagement & Dialogue (Inter-agency Network for Education in Emergencies)
- Dr Moussa Sagayar, Responsable Master Professionnel Ingénierie en Conception et Gestion des Alternatives Éducatives (ICGAE) (Université Abdou Moumouni, Niger)