Short course A Relationship at Stake: Media and Aid Organisations
Period24 April 2023 - 5 May 2023
Registration deadline2 April 2023
Total fees: CHF 1’700.-
Deposit: (upon acceptance of admission): CHF 200.-
There is no available scholarship for this programme.
At the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Characterise the specificities of humanitarian communications
- Understand the international, regional and local media landscapes, including digital media
- Engage in media training
- Assess the concept of “media power” and the logic of media attention and coverage
- Evaluate the challenges of media relations and the opportunities for humanitarian reporting
- Examine humanitarian representations and the visual politics of aid
- Analyse the ethical and deontological outcomes of media relations and messaging
Professional from other sectors (journalism, marketing, PR, policymaking, philanthropy) who wishes to increase their understanding of humanitarian communications
Graduate student with relevant volunteer or intern experience, looking to undertake a postgraduate course to explore the specificities of media and humanitarian collaborations
- What are humanitarian communications?
- Traditional media and the digital revolution (media landscapes)
- Effective media training
- Media attention and forgotten crises
- Humanitarian journalism and crisis reporting
- Visual politics of aid and humanitarian iconography
- Ethics of humanitarian communication and deontology of humanitarian reporting
Prof. Karl BLANCHET, Geneva Centre of Humanitarian Studies, a joint Centre of the University of Geneva and the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (IHEID), Geneva
- a university qualification (bachelor’s degree or equivalent);
- at least three years of relevant professional experience;
- excellent command of English;
- motivation working in the humanitarian sector.
- CV (Résumé)
- Copy of your highest diploma
- Work certificate or official document of your current job position
- Scanned copy of passport
- More information about the admission process is available on our application page.