14 June 2016: Conference on « Water in Conflicts »
Conference « Water in Conflicts »
Tuesday, June 14 2016, 18 :00 to 19 :30.
Room C1, Pétale 5, 2 ch. Eugène-Rigot, Maison de la Paix, Geneva
The Conference on “Water in Conflicts” will present the results of the Geneva Water Hub Expert Roundtable on the “Protection of Water During and After Armed Conflicts”. The speakers will discuss the use of water as a strategy and weapon of war in the current conflict in the Middle East. The situation of access to water and the control of dams in the Euphrates and Tigris Rivers will also be examined.
This Conference is part of the activities of the Geneva Water Hub and the Platform for International Water Law of the Faculty of Law of the University of Geneva. The discussions will contribute to the reflection of the Global High-Level Panel on Water and Peace. The aim is to involve the diplomatic community of Geneva, representatives of international organizations, experts and interested public in general to reflect on the way forward to enhance the protection of water in conflict areas and to highlight key global changes that have to be done.
- François Münger, Manager of the Geneva Water Hub and Swiss Special Envoy for Water.
- Laurence Boisson de Chazournes, Professor, Faculty of Law, Unversity of Geneva, and Member of the Global High-level Panel on Water and Peace.
- Tobias von Lossow, PhD Fellow, Middle East and Africa Division, German Institute for International and Security Affairs.
- Karen Hulme, Professor, School of Law, University of Essex.
- Ronald Jaubert, Professor, Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies.
Questions and Answers
With the participation of eleven international experts: Théo Boutruche (ICJ), Stephanie Hawkins (Strathclyde University), David Jensen (UNEP) (tbc), Amanda Kron (UNEP), Robert Mardini (ICRC) (tbc), David Michel (Stimson Center/GCSP), Komlan Sangbana (UNIGE), Zaki Shubber (UNESCO-IHE), Britta Sjostedt (Lund University), Mara Tignino (UNIGE), Doug Weir (Toxic Remnants of War).
May 19, 2016