|aquatic greenhouse gas transport & emissions||aquatic eddy correlation|
|aquatic-terrestrial linkages||bubble & plume modeling|
|benthic fluxes||constituent and pollutant transport and fate|
|biogeochemical-physical interactions||lake management & restoration|
|change impacts on aquatic systems||lake modeling|
|limnology & coastal oceanography||sediment and water column modeling|
|Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, Virginia Tech, December 2003
Two-dimensional lake and reservoir modeling: natural and plume-induced mixing mechanisms
|M.S. in Environmental Engineering, Virginia Tech, May 2000
Predicting oxygen transfer in hypolimnetic oxygenation devices
|B.S. in Civil Engineering, Magna Cum Laude, Virginia Tech, June 1996|
|2014 – Present||Assistant Professor, Institute F.-A. Forel, University of Geneva, Switzerland|
|2013 – 2014||Senior Scientist, Leibniz-Institute of Freshwater Ecology and Inland Fisheries (IGB), Germany|
|2010* – 2013||Research Associate, University of Southern Denmark SDU, Odense, Denmark|
|2008 – 2011*||Senior Scientist, GEOMAR, Marine Biogeochemistry, Kiel, Germany|
|2003 – 2008||Postdoc, Surface Waters – Research and Management, Eawag, Luzern, Switzerland|
|2000 – 2003||Guest Researcher during PhD studies, Eawag, Luzern, Switzerland|
|1995 – 2000||Graduate Research Assistant, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia USA|
* 2010 – 50% at GEOMAR and 50% at SDU
MAJOR STUDIES ON INLAND WATERS
- Danube River (Romania). Silica retention and hydrodynamics (McGinnis et al. 2006).
- Lake Alpnach (Switzerland). Benthic oxygen fluxes (Brand et al. 2008; Bryant et al. 2010a; 2010b)
- Lake Hallwil (Switzerland). Seasonal monitoring, artificial oxygenation system, diurnal Chaoborus migration, CH4 emissions (Flury et al. 2010; Lorke et al. 2004; McGinnis et al. 2004)
- Saar River (Germany). Temperature and hydrodynamic controls of CH4 and CO2 fluxes (Lorke et al. 2012; 2013; Maeck et al. 2013).
- Schwentine River (Germany). Temperature and hydrodynamic controls of CH4 and CO2 fluxes.
- Wohlensee (Switzerland). Benthic oxygen fluxes, CH4 emissions (McGinnis et al. 2008; DelSontro et al. 2010).
SCIENTIFIC CRUISES AND MAJOR EXPEDITIONS
- Young Sound Sea Ice Expedition, Greenland, March 13 – March 31, 2012.
- RV Urania, Mediterranean, July 27 –August 1, 2011. Cruise Leader (19 Scientists)
- Buksefjord Expedition, Greenland, June 2 – June 26, 2011.
- RV Poseidon, Red Sea, February 1 – February 20, 2011.
- RV Alkor, Baltic Sea, June 10 – June 21, 2010.
- Kobbefjord Sea Ice Expedition, Greenland, March 8 – March 19, 2010.
- RV Celtic Explorer, North Sea, July 20 – August 14, 2009.
- RV Alkor, North Sea, October 8 – October 30, 2008.
- RV Sonne, South Pacific, January 31 – February 25, 2007.
- RV Professor Vodyanitskiy, Black Sea, August 16 – 22, 2005.
- RV Professor Vodyanitskiy, Black Sea, May 25 – June 8, 2004. Eawag Expedition leader
- RV Istros, Danube River, Bazias to Orsova, Romania, October 14 – 19, 2001.
RECENT CO-SUPERVISED PH.D. STUDENTS:
|2010 – present||Karl Attard, University of Southern Denmark
Topic: Aquatic eddy correlation, seasonal carbon dynamics in Greenlandic fjords
|2007 – 2011||Tonya DelSontro PhD, Eawag, Surface Waters, Switzerland
Topic:Methane emissions from aquatic systems
|2006 – 2010||Claudia Lorrai PhD, Eawag, Surface Waters, Switzerland
Topic: Aquatic eddy correlation, turbulence and fluxes in the benthic boundary layer
|2006 – 2010||Lee Bryant PhD, Virginia Tech, Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engr., USA
Topic: O2 fluxes at the sediment-water interface, lake/reservoir oxygenation