Updated  26 August 2021

Crossborder employees

Crossborder employees are subject to the measures and restrictions adopted by the French government when travelling in France.

Professional and academic travel

The UNIGE recommends to avoid professional travel to countries or regions where a variant of concern is circulating, according to the list drawn up by the FOPH. The deanships of the faculties, the directors of the inter-faculty centres and institutes and the Rector's Office may grant an exemption if there are compelling reasons for the trip.

In light of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, we strongly recommend staff members seek information from the destination country's embassy or consulate before traveling abroad. In all cases, staff members must be sure to comply with the hygiene and behavior rules issued by the federal and cantonal public-health authorities. They should also make sure they are aware of UNIGE's policy on high-risk regions.

Work travel is subject to UNIGE's air-travel policy, which seeks to halve the University's greenhouse gas emissions by 2030.


For the conditions of return to Switzerland, please refer to the requirements of the Swiss Confederation.

Employees subject to quarantine can refer to the indications in the "Human Resources" tab - section "Quarantine", which lists the different situations regarding the possibilities of teleworking during quarantine and the HR treatments relating to each situation.

Personal travel

The UNIGE encourages everyone to follow the recommendations of the FOPH and to refrain from unnecessary travel abroad to countries or area where a variant of concern is circulating, according to the list drawn up by the FOPH.

Before traveling abroad, you are strongly advised to contact the embassies or consulates of your country of destination. In all situations, it is essential that you respect to the letter the rules of hygiene and behavior established by the federal and cantonal health authorities. Members of the UNIGE community must also be aware of the UNIGE policy regarding risk areas.