Anne Verhamme receives the MHV prize of the SNF
The stellar nurseries of distant galaxies
UniGE Press release (16 sept 2019)
A Cosmic Snake reveals the structure of distant galaxies
UniGE Press release (13 nov 2017)
The first galaxies of the Universe deliver their secrets
Press release (16 march 2017)
Who we are
The 'Starburst' group, at the Geneva Observatory is part of the ‘Galaxies & Universe’ theme of the Astronomy Department. The team has currently six members, and is lead by Prof. Daniel Schaerer. The group carries out research on galaxy formation and evolution, stellar populations, and observational cosmology using multi-wavelength observations and modeling. This site describes/lists some of the main projects and publications from the group.
- UniGE Press Release (16 sept 2019): The stellar nurseries of distant galaxies
- Anne Verhamme receives the Marie Heim-Vögtlin prize of the SNF (16 sept 2019)
- UniGE Press Release (13 nov 2017): A Cosmic Snake reveals the structure of distant galaxies
- UniGE Press Release (16 mar 2017): The first galaxies of the Universe deliver their secrets
- UniGE Press Release (14 jan 2016): The post Big Bang revealed. A first step towards understanding the early Universe
- Press Release ESA- EPFL – UniGE- IRAP (22 oct 2015):
Looking at the earliest galaxies (EPFL, UniGE).Observer les premières galaxies (IRAP)
Hubble spies Big Bang frontiers (ESA)
- Press Release UniGE (17 jun 2015):
Best Observational Evidence of First Generation of Stars in Universe — VLT discovers CR7, the brightest distant galaxy, and signs of Population III stars
- Press Release EPFL + UniGE (7 feb 2014):
“Far away secrets unveiled. Hubble and Spitzer space telescopes “spy” one of the youngest galaxies in the Universe.”
- European Week of Astrophysics and Space Sciences (EWASS) in Geneva: 30 june – 4 july 2014. Numerous symposium and special sessions in parallel. Full program available here.
- European Week of Astrophysics and Space Sciences 2014: Symposisum on “Star formation in galaxies: from small to large scales”, 30 june – 2 july 2014, Geneva.
- 2013: Prestigious grant received from the Swiss National Science Foundation: STARFORM network on “Star formation from the Milky Way to the distant Universe”
- Launch of the “Herschel Lensing Survey”, a survey of 40 lensing clusters in the Infra-red (Herschel space observatory and many other facilities…) .