CIDS Conference - 20 novembre 2019
CIDS Conference: Can we save the WTO Appellate Body (and Dispute Settlement) from a shipwreck, and how?
Geneva, Switzerland - 20 November 2019
The panel will discuss the context of the creation of the WTO dispute settlement system, including its unique and hybrid nature, the roots of the Appellate Body crisis and its key features, as well as the reactions of WTO Members to the concerns raised by the United States. What is the role of the Secretariat, the WTO Members and the parties to disputes in this crisis and what are the possible solutions? What types of changes, if any, to the current dispute settlement rules and practices would be necessary or useful? What short term or longer term alternatives can be considered ?
Welcome: Laurence Boisson de Chazournes, Professor, University of Geneva, Co-Director of the CIDS
Short Video: historical interviews of some actors in the Uruguay Round
- David Unterhalter, High Court of South Africa, former Chairman of the WTO Appellate Body
- Karen Alter, Professor, Northwestern University
- Scott Andersen, Partner, Sidley Austin, former USTR Lawyer
- Manuel A.J. Teehankee, Ambassador, Philippine Permanent Mission to the WTO
- Claudia Orozco, Practicing Trade Lawyer and WTO Panel Member
- Kholofelo Kugler, Counsel, Advisory Center on WTO Law
- Joost Pauwelyn, Professor, Graduate Institute and Georgetown University
Moderator: Gabrielle Marceau, Professor, University of Geneva
This event is public and free of charge.
The conference will be followed by a small reception.20 novembre 2019
A la Une