Professor honoraire Walter Wildi
Honorary Professor in geology
C205, Uni Carl Vogt
+41 79 310 00 39
Dr. Sc. nat. ETH (born 17 August 1948), married, 3 children, Swiss citizen Professor in geology, University of Geneva Department F.A. Forel for environmental and aquatic sciences, Institute for Environmental Sciences , of the Faculty of sciences, Section of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Geneva
|1967||High school diploma (Matur) in sciences, Aarau|
|1972||Diploma (Master) degree (geology) at Federal School of Technology (ETH) Zürich|
|1976||Ph.D. degree in sciences (geology) at Federal School of Technology (ETH) Zürich|
|1984||« Privatdozent » at the University of Zürich|
|1986-2013||Professor in geology at the University of Geneva|
|1983-1986||Post-doc researcher, University of Fribourg|
|1983||Consultant, RICO RESEARCH Rohrdorf|
|1983||Post-doc researcher at ETH Zürich,|
|1981-1982||Swiss National Foundation grant, Université of Paris VI|
|1977-1980||Post-doc researcher, ETH Zürich|
|1977||Consultant in applied geology, Motor Columbus, Baden|
|1974-1976||Geologist at the Ministry of Mines, Morocco|
|1972-1974||Candoc, Swiss National Foundation (FNRS)|
|1970-1972||Dr H. Jäckli, consultant in applied geology|
ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES, University of Geneva
- Professor and member of the board at the Institute of Environmental Sciences (ISE) of the University of Geneva, 2007-2012.
- Director of Institute F.-A. Forel (natural environmental sciences, limnology) of University of Geneva, 1995-2011.
- Director of the Centre of Environmental Sciences (CESNE), Faculty of Sciences, University of Geneva, 1992–2000 and 2002-2007.
- President of the Earth Science Section (now:"Earth and Environmental Sciences Section" of University of Geneva, 1988-1995, 1999–2001, 2009-2011.
- Member of the board of the International Academy of Environment (Geneva), 1992–1995.
- Member of the Advisory Board UNEP-GRID Geneva -University-Federal Office of Environment, since 1996-2013.
SCIENTIFIC COMMISSIONS AND COMITIES
- Member of the Swiss Federal Nuclear Safety Commission (KSA, advisory board of the Swiss Government), 1997-2007, president of the commission 2002–2007.
- Member of the Swiss Federal Commission of Geology (advisory board of the Swiss Government), 1988-2000, president 1997-2000.
- Member of the Geological Commission of the Swiss Academy of Science, 1987-1995, president 1990-1995.
- Member of the Commission for Scientific Research of the Swiss Academy of Sciences, 1986-1998.
- Vice-Vice-President of the Swiss Academy of Sciences, 1995-1998.
- Member of the Commission of Oceanology (COL) of the Swiss Academy of Sciences, 1995-1998.
- Member of the Swiss Federal Commission for Nuclear Waste Disposal (advisory board of the Swiss Government), 1989–1997.
- Member of the advisory board of the Swiss Government for Nuclear Waste Disposal, 2009-2012.
FIELD OF SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITY
- Regional geology, stratigraphy and sedimentology, basin analysis (Jura, Alps, North Africa, 1970 - 1994)
- Geology and nuclear waste disposal (since 1971)
- Environmental geology (geomorphology, glacial geology, waste management, cleanup of contaminated sites (since 1995)
- During the last years of scientific research at the University of Geneva, the group of W. Wildi mainly concentrated on investigations of contaminated lake and reservoir sites, both from the point of view of micro pollutants, as from the point of view of microbial contamination. This research was carried out by an interdisciplinary approach, including physical limnology, geochemistry and microbiology.