DURATION OF STUDIES
2 years (4 semesters)
LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION
French (level B1) / English (level B1)
A Bachelor degree in Science, Economics, Social Science, International Relations, Medicine, Law or another degree deemed to be equivalent. HES (University of Applied Sciences) students who are specializing in environmental sciences are eligible for this programme, provided that their application is accepted and that they successfully complete additional courses, which may be equivalent to a maximum of 30 credits.
THE MASTER IN ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE
is offered through University of Geneva's Institute for Environmental Sciences (ISE). ISE pool distinct disciplinary expertise and backgrounds from various faculties, including the Faculty of Science, the Geneva School of Social Sciences and the Geneva School of Economics and Management.
This Master program aims at interdisciplinary teaching and research within current dynamic and fast growing environmental fields such as climate, energy, water biodiversity, human ecology, urbanism, governance and health.
Bridging these fields is the cornerstone of the curriculum offered to students -committing themselves to environmental careers or to fundamental research -an interdisciplinary approach to environmental sciences based on natural sciences and economic as well as social sciences.
Ultimately the master's program, enable the students to professionally navigate within complex and interdisciplinary environmental context far beyond the usual sectorial approach. This broad understanding of fields in natural sciences and economic and social sciences entailed in environmental management is a unique academic offering in Switzerland.
AVAILABLE SPECIALISATION MODULES:
- Biodiversity Ecosystems and Society
- Climate Impacts
- Sustainable Development and Urbanization
- Water Sciences
4 semesters (max. 6 semesters) | 120 ECTS credits
Interdisciplinarity and immersion (16 credits)
Fundamentals (18 credits)
Methods (8 credits)
Specialized courses (27 credits)
Elective (18 credits)
Dissertation (33 credits)
LEVEL OF FRENCH REQUIRED BY UNIGE
No French proficiency test required for non-Francophones.
Students may earn up to 30 credits while on exchange. They may also conduct research outside the university, under the supervision of a faculty member, or do a work placement at a leading external laboratory in order to complete their Master's degree.
EXCELLENCE MASTER FELLOWSHIPS
The Faculty of Science, with the support of external partners, has established an Excellence Fellowship program open to outstanding and highly motivated students who wish to pursue a Master of Science degree in one of the disciplines covered by the Faculty. Candidate selection is based on excellence.
Deadline for applications : March 15, 2019
A Master in Environmental Science leads to a number of opportunities both in Switzerland and abroad, in areas such as:
- Government policy analysis and decision making: implementation of Sustainability agendas ( eg. Agenda-21) urban, land-use, transport and energy planning
- Private sector consulting for companies: resources management, carbon emission limitation, energy savings
- International negotiations: post-Kyoto international negotiations (2012 and beyond), biodiversity, health, habitat
- Sectorial opportunities: energy (renewable energy, energy savings, constructions), chemical lab analysis, used waters, environmental heritage management (biodiversity, etc.), health, natural and financial risks, urban and land planning
- Consulting firm, administration, politics, scientific journalism, teaching, cooperation
- Fundamental research: physics, biology, chemistry, climatology, the humanities and social sciences
500 CHF / semester (~430 €, ~530 $US)
Rate of the day
Deadline: 28 February 2019
More information on the "How to apply" page of the MUSE website.
- Institute for Environmental Sciences (ISE)
Nicole Efrancey Dao
T. +41 (0)22 379 08 76
- ISE Student Affairs
T. +41 (0)22 379 07 97
- Student Affairs
T. +41 (0)22 379 66 61/62/63
- Academic Advisor
T. +41 (0)22 379 67 15
- Faculty of Science
30 quai Ernest-Ansermet
1211 Genève 4