Following the adoption of the Swiss National Strategy on Open Access on January 2017, the Rectorate approved (04.12.2017) the creation of a central fund to cover part of the cost of publishing (Article Processing Charges or APCs) in Gold Open Access journals, or for books and books chapters that follow similar principles. Since January 2022, this fund is also supported by Swissuniversities within the framework of the National OA Fund project. The management of the fund is entrusted to the Scientific Information Division (DIS), which distributes the funds on a quarterly basis to ensure availability throughout the year.
The support fund can only be used for publication costs (APC/BPC) that are not covered by other funding sources, in particular the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF).
The fund covers the first CHF 1500.- of the APC/BPC fees.
Eligibility of applications (updated on 10th January 2023)Applications for publication funding support must meet the following criteria :
- Publication costs are not covered by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF).
- The corresponding author of the publication is a staff member of the University of Geneva and mentions this affiliation in the publication. Are they more than one, the first person mentioned is considered.
Publications that are not published by MDPI must also meet the following conditions:
- If the first author is a collaborator affiliated to the University of Geneva, they will not be eligible if they have the status of ordinary, associate, full, visiting or honorary professor.
- The amount of the APC may not exceed CHF 2'500.- excluding VAT for articles and CHF 8'000.- excluding VAT for books.
- Eligible articles and books are published under a Creative Commons license.
- The publisher of the journal or book guarantees immediate and free electronic access to the publication.
- Publication in hybrid journals is excluded.
- The journal has a peer-review or editorial review committee and must be listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ), or be eligible to be listed.
The beneficiary of the funding makes sure that the final version of the publication (Version of Record) is deposited in the repository Archive ouverte UNIGE as soon as it is published online.