Higor Carvalho is a PhD candidate and teaching assistant at the Environmental Governance and Territorial Development Institute. He is a Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship holder and works under the supervision of Prof. Armelle Choplin and Prof. Didier Péclard. He holds a Bachelor in Architecture and Urban Planning (University of Sao Paulo), a Master's in Geography (University Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne) and a Master's in Habitat (University of Sao Paulo).
For the last ten years, he has researched / worked in Brazil, France, Mexico, Reunion Island and China. In Brazil, he worked in governmental and parliamentary positions and, among others, was in charge of a 700,000-inhabitants city's Master Plan. He engages with social movements for the right to the city and has taken part in research projects for a diversity of bodies, including the United Nations and the United Cities and Local Governments, besides his own academic projects.
The production of urban space is the core of Higor's research. He is interested in analysing its forms and agents of production as well as its social, economical and environmental effects in a diversity of geographies, focused in -but not limited to- the Global South. The effects of broader political and economical shifts over the making of the built environment (i.e. neoliberalism, financialization...) call particularly his attention. His current PhD research analyses the influence of Brazilian and Chinese capitals in the urbanization of Sub Saharan Africa, taking Angola as a study case.
The political economy of urbanization; the production of space, its forms (capitalist, socialist and others) and contradictions (spatial segregation, inequalities, informalities); Spatial Justice; Financial Geography; Urban Development and Planning; Real estate; Housing policies and markets; Social Movements; Gender, Race and Diversity in the city.
2021 - When Brazil and China build the emerging Africa: capital flows and the production of space in Angola.
2019-2021 - The production of space with Chinese characteristics.
2009-2010 - La ville comme un chantier d'affaires: la production du logement et de l’espace urbain par les grands promoteurs immobiliers en Ile-de-France.
2008-2009 - Campos Elíseos: Um bairro, um patrimônio, uma cidade : um caso historico de mutação urbana e patrimônio publico na cidade de São Paulo.
- FERREIRA, J., ROJAS, E., CARVALHO, H., RAGO, C., LUPO, L. (2020). Housing policies and the role of local governments in the Latin America: recent experiences. Environment & Urbanization, Vol 32, No 2, October 2020.
- TASAN-KOK, T.; BERTOLINI, L.; OLIVEIRA E COSTA, S.; LOTHAN, H.; CARVALHO, H.; DESMET, M. ; DE BLUST, S. ; DEVOS, T. ; KIMYON, D.; ZOETE, J. A. ; AHMAD, P. (2016). Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee: giving voice to planning practitioners. Planning Theory & Practice (Print), v. 17, p. 621-651, 2016.
ROCCO, R.; KARA-JOSE, B., CARVALHO, H., ROYER, L. (2021). The Impacts of Socio-Spatial Inequity: COVID-19 in São Paulo. In: DOUCET, Brian. (org). Global Reflections on COVID-19 and Urban Inequalities Series, Volume 1, Community and Society. Bristol, Bristol University Press.
Papers presented in Conferences
- CARVALHO, H. (2021). The production of space with Chinese characteristics. 5th Researching China Conference. University of Campinas, Campinas, Brazil.
- CARVALHO, H. (2019). Housing production in the circuits of real estate and financial capitals reproduction in Latin America and Europe: the cases of Brazil, Mexico and France. FinGeo First Global Conference of Financial Geography. Beijing Normal University, Beijing, China.
- CARVALHO, H. (2014). Políticas de vivienda de interés social en la era de la acumulación financiera: un estudio comparado entre agentes y impactos en Brasil y México. XXXIII International Congress of LASA. San Juan, Porto Rico.
- CARVALHO, H. (2014). Land Rights and the Place of Social Housing in the City: The Experience of Sao Paulo, Brazil. International Sociological Association. Yokohama, Japan.
- CARVALHO, H., CALDEIRA, D. A. (2013). Housing under finance influence: the case of Sao Paulo, Brazil. International Sociological Association, RC43. University of Amsterdam, Centre of Urban Studies, The Netherlands.
- HIRATA, M. S.; CARVALHO, H. (2015). Desigualdade globalizada: a situação da população de rua no Japão (parte 2). In: O Trecheiro, Ano XXII ed. Março 2015. Editora Paulus, Sao Paulo.
- HIRATA, M. S.; CARVALHO, H. (2014). Desigualdade globalizada: a situação da população de rua no Japão (parte 1). In: O Trecheiro, Ano XXI, ed. Setembro-outubro 2014. Editora Paulus, Sao Paulo.
M. Higor Carvalho
+41 22 379 83 48