PAN-European Seal Traineeship Programme
for graduates of the University of Geneva
Opportunity to apply for a 12-month traineeship in Alicante at the European Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) or at the European Patent Office (EPO) in Munich (starting in September 2021)
The University of Geneva has joined the Pan European Seal Program (PES) and has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the European Patent Office (EPO) and with the European Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO).
Under the PES Program, selected UNIGE graduates (i.e. graduates with a bachelor degree, a master degree or a PhD degree from UNIGE) can apply for a 12-month remunerated traineeship at the EPO (in Munich) or at the EUIPO (in Alicante) starting in September 2021 (whereby the feasibility of the traineeship in a face to face format will depend on the evolution of the pandemic).
1. Who can apply (not only law graduates)?
The candidates must have obtained their UNIGE degree no more than two years prior to the date of application for the traineeship.
Different conditions apply for EPO and for EUIPO traineeships:
- For the EPO traineeships, candidates must have a very good level of knowledge of one of the EPO’s working languages (English, French or German) at a minimum level of B1 and must be citizens of one of the EPO Member States or EPO extension States;
- For the EUIPO traineeships, candidates must have working knowledge of one of the EUIPO's five working languages (i.e. English, French, German, Italian and Spanish) at a minimum level of B1 and preferably a good knowledge of another official EU language. Trainees will be selected from among nationals of the Member States of the European Union, and a limited number of nationals of candidate countries and third countries may be accepted.
This traineeship opportunity is not limited to law graduates. Applications from UNIGE graduates from many other areas are welcome (see the list of educational background expected from applicants for the EUIPO and the EPO respectively under 4. below).
2. How and when to apply?
The candidates that will be pre-selected by UNIGE will then have to file applications online on the respective online platforms of the EUIPO or the EPO for a traineeship at EUIPO or at EPO (N.B. candidates cannot apply to both institutions) by March 31, 2021. The decisions of admission of candidates will be notified by EUIPO / EPO respectively in May 2021. The traineeship will start on September 16, 2021.
The application for pre-selection by UNIGE shall contain:
- A letter of motivation, including the preferred area(s) of expertise (based on the list under 4. below), the indication of the institution at which the applicant would like to do the traineeship (i.e. EUIPO or EPO) and the evidence of the candidate’s expertise in this/these area(s);
- A curriculum vitae;
- A copy of the UNIGE degree (bachelor, master or PhD degree) or if the degree has not been officially granted yet - a provisional confirmation of the obtaining of the degree) and a copy of documents showing the grades of the candidates for the degree
3. Additional sources of information
4. Expected educational background of UNIGE candidates for applying to the European Seal Traineeship Programme
4.1 For a traineeship at the EUIPO:
Expected educational background of candidates for traineeships at the EUIPO:
- IP law
- IP & Knowledge Management
- Political Sciences & International Relations
- Economics & Business Administration/Entrepreneurship
- Information Technology:
- IT Security
- Business Analysis
- Software Engineer
- Customer Service Solutions
- Facility Management:
- Civil engineer
- Logistics management
- Human Resources
4.2. For a traineeship at the EPO:
Expected educational background of candidates for traineeships at the EPO:
- Science & Engineering
- Business Administration
- Law (including Patent Law)
- Economics & Finance
- International Relations & Communication
The EPO is especially looking for candidates with an academic background in the following technical areas, as well as in all aspects of chemical engineering, organic chemistry, pharmacy, biotechnology, mechanical, electrical and electronic engineering, telecommunications and computer science.
Science and Engineering - Patent Granting Mobility and Mechatronics - Machine tools with electronic circuitry - Thermo-technical systems - Construction components, fluids, thermodynamics - Sensors (electrical, magnetic, optical) - Measuring & testing instruments - Machine design & assembly (household appliances) - Metal works (processing wire, forging and pressing)
Healthcare, Biotechnology and Chemistry - Polymer chemistry, inkjet compositions for 3D-printing - Ceramic & glass materials, chemical processing - Food technology - Organic chemistry, pharmaceutical compositions (cosmetics & galenics) - Biopharma, medical use of compounds - Protein diagnostics, protein therapy - Immunotherapy (CAR-T cells) - Microbiology, Plant biology, Synthetic biology - Gene therapy, cell therapy - Medical mechanical engineering, electronic engineering for medical devices – Healthcare informatics
Information and Communication Technology - Data carriers (bank and credit cards magnetic stripe, chip, NFC), RFID tags, digital labels - Network & Communication security, Computer security, Cryptography - Software engineering, error detection and correction in computing - Hardware and software testing and debugging
Corporate Areas - Data Science - Business Intelligence and Analytics processes - Planning and Construction projects - Electric/ electronic circuit modelling - Digital solutions evolution within our Technical services - Identity and Access management - Internet of Things in Office environment.