PAN-European Seal Traineeship Programme
for graduates of the University of Geneva
Opportunity to apply for a 12-month traineeship in Alicante at the European Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO) or at the European Patent Office (EPO) in Munich (starting in September 2022)
The University of Geneva has joined the Pan European Seal Program (PES) and has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the European Patent Office (EPO) and with the European Intellectual Property Office (EUIPO).
Under the PES Traineeship Program, selected UNIGE graduates (i.e. graduates with a bachelor degree, a master degree or a PhD degree from UNIGE) can apply for a 12-month remunerated (monthly 1’000 euros at EUIPO / monthly 2’000 euros at EPO) traineeship at the EPO (in Munich) or at the EUIPO (in Alicante) starting mid-September 2022 (in presential).
1. Who can apply (not only law graduates)?
The candidates must have obtained their UNIGE degree no more than two years prior to the date of application for the traineeship.
This implies for Bachelor and Master candidates that they have completed their degree. PhD candidates must have submitted their PhD to apply at the EUIPO or be enrolled in a PhD program to apply at the EPO.
Candidates cannot apply for a traineeship at both institutions: they must consequently choose to apply for a a traineeship either at the EPO or at the EUIPO.
Different conditions apply for EPO and for EUIPO traineeships:
- For the EPO traineeships, candidates must have a very good level of knowledge of one of the EPO’s working languages (English, French or German) at a minimum level of B1 (certificate is a plus but not mandatory) and must be citizens of one of the EPO Member States or EPO extension States (which include Switzerland);
- For the EUIPO traineeships, candidates must have working knowledge of one of the EUIPO's five working languages (i.e. English, French, German, Italian and Spanish) at a minimum level of B1(certificate is a plus but not mandatory) and preferably a good knowledge of another official EU language. Trainees will be selected in priority among citizens of Member States of the European Union. A very limited number of citizens of other other countries (including Switzerland) – i.e. only approx. ten candidates in total - may be accepted.
EUIPO only : Please note that in order to apply to the EUIPO, candidates must have completed, by the time of the application, the certificate(s) of at least one of the following courses: EUTM in a Nutshell” and/or “RCD in a Nutshell” (4h approximately each with no IP background), if candidates applies to EUIPO institution.
In order to complete the above courses, candidates must create an account of PES user (1) and log in at EUIPO Academy Learning Portal (EALP) (2).
- Create your PES user account : https://euipo.europa.eu/knowledge/login/signup.php?lang=en
- Log in at the e-learning plateform to get your certificate : https://euipo.europa.eu/knowledge/
This traineeship opportunity is not limited to law graduates. Applications from UNIGE graduates from many other areas are welcome (see the list of educational background expected from applicants for the EUIPO and the EPO respectively under 4. below).
2. How and when to apply?
Interested UNIGE graduates that are candidates for the PES Traineeship Program must be pre-selected by UNIGE and must apply to by February 25, 2022 at twelve noon (Swiss time / CET) and the application must contain all the documents identified below.
UNIGE will notify the candidates about their selection in the week of February 28, 2022. The candidates that will be pre-selected by UNIGE will then have to file applications online on the respective online platforms of the EUIPO or the EPO for their traineeship by March 31, 2022 (at EUIPO) and by March 15, 2022 (at EPO). The decisions of admission of candidates will be notified by EUIPO / EPO respectively during the month of May 2022for an interview. The traineeship will start mid-September 2022.
Applications by applicants pre-selected by UNIGE for the traineeship at the EPO or at the EUIPO need to be submitted on the EPO and EUIPO’s respective websites below:
The application for pre-selection by UNIGE shall contain all the following documents:
- A letter of motivation, including the preferred area(s) of expertise (based on the list under 4. below), the indication of the institution at which the applicant would like to do the traineeship (i.e. EUIPO or EPO) and the evidence of the candidate’s expertise/interest in this/these area(s);
- A curriculum vitae;
- A copy of the UNIGE degree (bachelor, master or PhD degree) or if the degree has not been officially granted yet - a provisional confirmation of the obtaining of the degree) and a copy of documents showing the grades of the candidates for the degree.
3. Additional sources of information
Additional documents/information :
EUIPO Decision N° ADM 18-12 rev : https://euipo.europa.eu/knowledge/pluginfile.php/109240/mod_page/content/43/ADM-18-12_rev_en.pdf
EUIPO Pan European Seal Brochure : https://euipo.europa.eu/knowledge/pluginfile.php/109240/mod_page/content/43/EUIPO%20PES%20Programe%20-%20Informative%20Brochure.pdf
4. Expected educational background of UNIGE candidates for applying to the European Seal Traineeship Programme
4.1 For a traineeship at the EUIPO:
Expected educational background of candidates for traineeships at the EUIPO:
- IP law
- IP & Knowledge Management
- Political Sciences & International Relations
- Economics & Business Administration/Entrepreneurship
- Information Technology:
- IT Security
- Business Analysis
- Software Engineer
- Customer Service Solutions
- Facility Management:
- Civil engineer
- Logistics management
- Human Resources
4.2. For a traineeship at the EPO:
Expected educational background of candidates for traineeships at the EPO:
- Science & Engineering (including IT)
- Human resources & Business Administration
- Law (including Patent Law)
- Economics & Finance
- International Relations & Communication
The EPO is especially looking for candidates with an academic background in the following technical areas, as well as in all aspects of chemical engineering, organic chemistry, pharmacy, biotechnology, mechanical, electrical and electronic engineering, telecommunications and computer science.
Science and Engineering - Patent Granting Mobility and Mechatronics - Machine tools with electronic circuitry - Thermo-technical systems - Construction components, fluids, thermodynamics - Sensors (electrical, magnetic, optical) - Measuring & testing instruments - Machine design & assembly (household appliances) - Metal works (processing wire, forging and pressing)
Healthcare, Biotechnology and Chemistry - Polymer chemistry, inkjet compositions for 3D-printing - Ceramic & glass materials, chemical processing - Food technology - Organic chemistry, pharmaceutical compositions (cosmetics & galenics) - Biopharma, medical use of compounds - Protein diagnostics, protein therapy - Immunotherapy (CAR-T cells) - Microbiology, Plant biology, Synthetic biology - Gene therapy, cell therapy - Medical mechanical engineering, electronic engineering for medical devices – Healthcare informatics
Information and Communication Technology - Data carriers (bank and credit cards magnetic stripe, chip, NFC), RFID tags, digital labels - Network & Communication security, Computer security, Cryptography - Software engineering, error detection and correction in computing - Hardware and software testing and debugging
Corporate Areas - Data Science - Business Intelligence and Analytics processes - Planning and Construction projects - Electric/ electronic circuit modelling - Digital solutions evolution within our Technical services - Identity and Access management - Internet of Things in Office environment.