The PhD program must be successfully completed in a minimum of three and up to five years and consists of two parts:
The PhD program requires the acquisition of a total of 18 ECTS
- 6 residential non-consecutive weeks accredited by SSPH+ (14 ECTS)
- 2 massive open online courses (MOOCs) (4 ECTS)
- 1 residential comprehensive exam
- A pre-doctorate thesis presentation (after having completed 2 semesters)
- A doctoral thesis dissertation including two scientific papers written as first author in peer-review journals
- An oral defence
The first two years of the doctoral program should primarily focus on the successful completion of all the mandatory course requirements (residential weeks and MOOCs). While the research project should be well defined by the end of the first year, the second and third year will focus on the research work and preparation of the PhD thesis, with the option of extending into the fourth and fifth year.
Tuition fees at the University of Geneva amount to 500 CHF for the first and last semester, and to 65 CHF for the rest of the semesters. There are additional tuition fees for the 6 mandatory residential courses (2000CHF/course or 12000 CHF fees, for guidance only, as these may change slightly). Students are responsible for the coverage of all tuition fees-university matriculation tuition fees and mandatory residential tuition fees- and all associated travel, accommodation and meal costs during their stay in Switzerland.